The tourist information centre is located on the High Street. There is a large traveler community which can be seen throughout Doncaster's rural areas.
Doncaster is situated approximately 6 miles from Robin Hood Airport where discount flights and package holidays are supplied by Robin Hood Flights. Airlines at Doncaster include Thomson Airways, Flybe, Wizzair, Thomas Cook and Aer Lingus that connect Doncaster to European cities.
From the airport, the bus lines 91and X19 operates to the train/bus station in the town centre ("frenchgate interchange"). The buses run about every 30 min Mon-Sat on daytime and once an hour in the evenings and on Sundays.
A cab to a hotel in Doncaster should cost around £9-15.
- East Coast, who operate the railway station, operate trains to and from London to Leeds, Newcastle and Scotland.
- Arriva Cross Country operate trains between the south and south-west coasts, Birmingham, Newcastle and Scotland.
- East Midlands Trains run services from Yorkshire to London connection Doncaster directly to Nottingham, Leicester and to Luton and Gatwick airports.
Bus services operate to Doncaster from all over South Yorkshire.
There are plenty of car parks dotted around the town centre, with the two largest being the Frenchgate roof top and the Civic and Cultural Quarter. The M18 motorway passes through the outskirts of Doncaster as does the A1(M) motorway which provides Doncaster with excellent links to both the M1 motorway to London and the M62 motorway to Manchester and Liverpool.
Doncaster has a comprehensive network of bus routes, mainly run by First and Stagecoach. Park and Ride sites are available near Parrots Corner (Doncaster South P&R - service 55 to town centre), near Woodlands (Doncaster North P&R) and from Morrisons Balby (White Rose Way P&R - service 70 to town centre). The latter park and ride is most accessible for those coming from the M18.
- Conisbrough Castle, Castle Hill, Conisbrough, DN12 3BU (8 miles south-west of Doncaster), ☎ +44 1709 863329. Take bus number X78 from the Doncaster Interchange and wait until you see it to get off. adults £4.60, children £2.80, concessions £4.10.
- Cusworth Hall, Museum and Park, Cusworth Lane, DN5 7TU, ☎ +44 1302 782342, e-mail: email@example.com. Georgian house on the outskirts of Doncaster that hosts the museum of South Yorkshire life and set in picturesque landscaped gardens
- Brodsworth Hall and Gardens, Brodsworth, DN5 7XJ (4 miles west of Doncaster), ☎ +44 1302 722598. adults £9.60, children £5.80, concessions £8.60.
- The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft, Belton Road, Sandtoft, DN8 5SX. Certain weekends Mar-Nov only. The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft houses the world's largest collection of historic trolleybuses, together with a number of other vehicles including period motor buses.
The Museum offers a fascinating day out for all the family. Open to the public on specific event days, generally between Easter and November, when visitors can ride on a selection of trolleybuses under the specially-erected overhead. Free conducted tours operate in one of a number of vintage motor buses.
There are a number of other attractions including a 5-rated cafe, children's play area, 1950s / 1960s shop displays, a 1950s Prefab home and a cycle and lawnmower shop display. Many event days also feature themes and additional visiting attractions. Varies.
- Visit the largest leisure centre in South Yorkshire, the Doncaster Dome, offering ice skating in the UK's first split level ice rink and swimming in 'The Lagoons'
- Close to the Dome is a large Vue cinema and a bowling alley.
- The Frenchgate Shopping Centre located in the heart of the town centre and connected to the train and bus stations.
- Lakeside Village is an outlet shopping area located located about 1 mile from junction 3, M18. You can reach the M18 from the M1, M62 or A1. It boasts over 40 stores including Next Outlet, Marks & Spencer and Cadbury's.
- Visit the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum which is small but packed with exiting exhibits.
Also, when the races are on at Doncaster Racecourse it's definitely not an event to be missed.
- Cast, Waterdale. Theatre with cafe downstairs
Doncaster has a wide variety of shops, including the recently extended and refurbished Frenchgate Centre, many department stores, several large supermarkets, two indoor markets, two outdoor markets, charity shops, a large retail outlet known as the 'Lakeside Village' and much more.
- Bawtry Golf Club (wedding venue doncaster), Cross Lane, Austerfield, ☎ +44 1302 711409. Come along to Bawtry Golf Club. A place for Golf, Business and Entertainment. Specialising in Functions of all varieties.
- Cooplands. Delicious, home made baked goods. Sausage rolls and a cracking chicken pastie.
After a night out Burger and Pizza Jim's on silver street are both great for a greasy pizza or a box of curly fries.
Central Park, Relish and Zest in the town centre all serve delicious food. There is also a wide variety of Chinese and Indian restaurants.
On a whole Doncaster's drinking establishments cater for most peoples needs whether you want to sit down and have a quiet pint with friends and family or go out for a night with friends you will find somewhere to suit you.
The majority of clubs in Doncaster town center are free to enter and serve a variety of tasty drinks. The main bulk of Clubs and Pre-club Bars are situated on silver street. Here you have a choice of:
Berlins - a basement pre-club
Aruba - Pre-club bar
La Barracca - Cocktail bar
Rush - Bar
Although there are many other venues on Priory Walk, some include:
Walkabout - Australian Themed Bar
Toast - Bar
Gatehouse - Wetherspoons
The Pad - Small Bar
Moods - Nightclub
Sugarlounge - Bar (try the bounty milk)
There are also some venues on Lazarus Court, although these are mainly aimed at 18 to 25 year olds, such as:
Priory - Busiest later into the night, priory is one of the favorites for many young people. Usually costs £6 entry.
Social - Priory's pre-bar. Before 11pm on a Friday buying a cocktail here will get you cheaper entry into Priory.
Rock-a-hula - Tiki bar
Also not to forget on the Hallgate there are many pubs including:
- Goose - Large Bar
- Lakota - Trendy Bar
- Flares and Reflex - 70s & 80s Themed Bars
Before hitting the town there are many nice places to have a couple of drinks like Old Angel (near colonnades), Missoula, and Relish. There are a few more clubs in Doncaster slightly further out of Silver Street, Lazarus Court and Priory Walk.
During the day in Doncaster there are many varied pubs and bars open from 9am till late. Although the best area to concentrate on for a quiet drink would be the market place. You have nice selection of pubs where you can enjoy your drinks whilst either watching sport, listening to nice music or meeting new people. On the market place you have
- The Red Lion (Wetherspoons) - nice quiet little place where you can enjoy a low-priced pint.
- The Masons Arms - This is a traditional Tetleys Real ale house that dates back to the 1700s great for those who like history and historical documents which you will find dotted around the pub on the walls
- The Black Bull - Large pub where you can sit inside or in the large beer garden.
- The Courtyard - Large open plan bar which has a heated beer garden and a great atmosphere. Serving a wide range of Alcoholic and Non Alcohol Drinks including Coffee and Tea
For those who love real ale then you should check out these pubs.
- Courtyard - Has 3 ever changing guest ales and Mansfield cask always on
- The Masons Arms' - They always have Tetleys Cask, Timothy Taylors Landlord, Old Speckled Hen and Black Sheep on
- The Corner Pin - They have an every changing range of cask ales on tap
- The Red Lion - as with most Wetherspoons they have an everchanging range of real ales.
Premier Inn, Travelodge and Holiday Inn Express have hotels in the Doncaster area, all within easy reach of the town centre.
- Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The trust comprises 4 hospitals-
- Doncaster Royal Infirmary
- Women's Hospital,
- Montagu Hospital
- Bassetlaw Hospital
- Capio Park Hill
- Tickhill Road Hospital
- St. Catherines Hospital
- Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Doncaster Central PCT
- Cosmetic Treatments Clinic
Sheffield can be reached in under 20 minutes on the fastest trains.