Dispur has been the capital of Assam since 1973.
This small city remains very much in the shadow of its neighbour, Guwahati, which is the largest city and business centre of Assam. In 1973, Assam was reorganized to form the smaller states of Meghalaya, Manipur and Mizoram. Assam lost its capital, Shillong, to Meghalaya. A search for a new capital ensued and the choice settled on Dispur, then a suburb of Guwahati.
- Basistha Ashram. Shiva temple located approximately 6 km from the city.
- Janardana Temple, Shukaleswar Hill, Guwahati.
- Regional Science Centre And Museum.
- Shilpagram (Shilpgram), ☎ +91 361 213 0483. Crafts center next to Srimanta Sankaradeva Kalaksetra
- Srimanta Sankaradeva Kalakshetra. This museum preserves the culture and traditions of Assam. It contains collections of jewellery, various costumes, statues, stone inscriptions and examples of weapons.
- Uma Nanda Temple.