Daylesford, an hour and a half northwest of Melbourne, has many spas, good food and wine, a lush environment, artists, and holistic therapists.
Daylesford has the highest concentration of natural mineral springs in Australia.
By public transport
Daylesford is about a 1 hour 20 mins drive from the centre of Melbourne. It is the easiest way to get to Daylesford. Go along the Western Freeway and follow the signs to arrive in Daylesford.
The town area is quite small and easily walkable, but for sights outside the town, a car or bike will be needed. Daylesford is quite steep so cycling may be difficult.
- Convent Gallery, 7 Daly St, Daylesford, Victoria 3460, ☎ +61 3 5348 3211. An art exhibit over 3 storeys in a 19th century mansion. It is open for 7 days of the week except some public holidays. $5 (admission).
- Stony Creek Gallery, 10 Stony Creek Road, Daylesford, Victoria 3460, ☎ +61 3 5348 1884, e-mail: email@example.com. Private collections of contemporary artwork, available to buy and sell. Free entry.
- Lake Daylesford is a popular site to walk, picnic or relax. Multiple entrances available.
- Wombat Hill Botanical Gardens, Stanhope Street, Daylesford VIC 3460. Listed in the Victorian Heritage Register.
- Daylesford is one of the most famous places for a spa in Victoria. It is one of the main reasons to come to Daylesford. There are many different spa bathhouses, with Hepburn Bathhouse and Spa and The Lake House being some of the more famous ones. Most bathhouses also provide optional accommodation.
- Ghost tour at The Convent, 7 Daly St, Daylesford, Victoria 3460, (03) 5348 3211, firstname.lastname@example.org, . $45 (includes wine and coffee).
- There are many mineral spring water taps available around the town where one may taste for free.
- Hepburn Lagoon Rides, 60 Telegraph Rd, Mount Prospect, Victoria 3364, ☎ +61 408 059 125. Horse riding from 2 hours to 5 hours depending on ride and experience. From $80.
- Lukeys Boat Hire. You can hire row boats or paddleboats at Lake Daylesford. $10 (for 20 minutes).
There is a strip of shops in the town centre. There is a large second hand book with over 2 stories of books. There is also artwork at Stony Creek Gallery (see above) and craftwork from various shops.
- The Lake House Restaurant, 4 King Street, Daylesford, Victoria 3460, ☎ +61 3 5348 3329. Has won 2 stars from The Age's Good Food Guide 2013. Lunch prices start from $76.
- Frangos & Frangos, 82 Vincent Street, Daylesford, Victoria 3460, ☎ +61 3 5348 2363. One of the oldest operating restaurants in Daylesford. The food has a Modern Australian and Mediterranean feel to it. It's a great place for breakfast and brunch.
- Mercato @ Daylesford, 32 Raglan St, Daylesford, Victoria 3460, ☎ +61 3 5348 4488. Italian restaurant.
- Ellender Estate, 260 Green Gully Rd, Glenlyon, Victoria 3461, ☎ +61 3 5348 7785. Winery with cellar door and a woodfired pizza restaurant; also provides picnic hampers for use on its grounds.
- Grange Bellizona, 77 Main Rd, Hepburn Springs, Victoria 3461, ☎ +61 3 5348 2271. High tea (from $39) and dinner available.
- Lavandula Swiss/Italian Farm, 350 Hepburn- Newstead Rd, Shepherds Flat, Victoria 3461, ☎ +61 3 5476 4393. Large lavender farm, $4 entry, café food and sweets available.
Daylesford is fairly quiet during the night as most places close fairly early.
Most bathhouses also provide accommodation at an additional cost. There are also many country retreats available. Below is an incomplete list of a few of the places to stay at.
- Shizuka Ryokan Japanese Country Spa and Wellness Retreat, 7 Lakeside Drive, Hepburn Springs, Victoria 3461, ☎ +61 3 5348 2030, e-mail: email@example.com. From $179.
- The Convent, 7 Daly St, Daylesford, Victoria 3460, ☎ +61 3 5348 3211. Suite and guesthouse (for 8 people) available.
- Telstra Partial coverage with HSPA+ 3G, 3G covers the rest of the areas, no 4G coverage
- Optus Coverage with 900 MHz 3G, no 4G coverage.
- Vodafone Minimal and spotty 3G coverage