Davenport is a small town of about 2,000 people in the North eastern section of Polk County, in Central Florida, near Lake Tohopekaliga and Lake Marion. Its close proximity to Walt Disney World makes it a very popular destination for tourists wanting to visit the famous theme park. The greater area of Davenport includes the area up to the southern border of Lake County and the western border of Osceola County. The actual city of Davenport is quite small and has very little commercial enterprise. The greater Davenport area has several hotels/motels and restaurants and is growing rapidly.
Davenport has a relatively warm climate, located in Central Florida's subtropical zone, and is warm and humid during the summertime with small, scattered thundershowers almost daily. These storms tend to pass quickly, giving way to that typical Florida sunshine before long. Davenport has high temperatures (F) ranging from the low 70's to the mid 90's, and low temperatures ranging from the upper 40's to the low 70's. The months June to September have average highs in the 90's as a rule, and those are also the months with the highest average precipitation. The average precipitation for the months June to September is around 7 inches (~178mm) per month, whereas for the rest of the year, the rainfall average is around 2.75 inches (~70mm) per month.
Davenport is located only 10 miles (~16 km) from Walt Disney World, along Interstate 4. It's situated about 30 miles (~48 km) West of Orlando, and 54 miles (~87 km) East of Tampa, both of which have international airports.
Davenport is within easy driving distance of 3 larger airports:
- Orlando International (about 30 miles from Davenport (~48 km))
- Lakeland Linder Regional (about 32 miles from Davenport (~51 km))
- Orlando Sanford (about 49 miles from Davenport (~79 km))
And also 3 other public-use airports:
- Jack Browns (~3 miles from Davenport (~5 km)) in Winter Haven
- Winter Haven's Gilbert (~13 miles from Davenport (~21 km))
- Kissimmee Gateway (~15 mile from Davenport (~24 km)) in Orlando
There are 3 Amtrak stations near Davenport:
- 15 miles (~24 km) away in Winter Haven (1800 7th St. S.W.)
- 17 miles (~27 km) away in Kissimmee (111 Dakin ST.)
- 17 miles (~27 km) away in Lake Buena Vista (12521 Rte. 535)
Interstate 4 is the nearest Interstate and connects Davenport to many of central Florida's main cities and attractions.
Since Davenport is such a small city, it is very easy to get around in by car, on foot, or by bicycle.
The easiest way to get around Davenport and Central Florida is by car. If renting, it is substantially less money to rent a car outside of the airport. The city is set up on grid system, and is fairly easy to navigate.
There are several taxi companies in Davenport, to make getting around very easy, though it's generally more expensive than other modes of transportation. With Davenport being such a small city, it's not out of range for most people though.
It is hard to find information about public transportation within Davenport, though over 95% of commuters in Davenport tend to drive, rather than take the bus.
Davenport is a very small town, and getting around on a bike is very easy. There seem to be several bike shops in Davenport, but it's unclear whether any of them rent bikes for day trips or by the week, etc.
Davenport is generally a place to visit if you're looking for a smaller, relaxed town to stay in while visiting some of the many attractions nearby. Most often, visitors to Davenport use the town as a jumping-off point to visit places like Walt Disney World, Epcot, MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, SeaWorld, and Wet 'n' Wild Water Park, all located in Orlando, just a short drive away.
As noted above, there is not a lot to do in Davenport, unless you want to play some golf, or just relax in a quiet little town. Golfing is a fairly well represented sport in Davenport, with two large golf courses:
- Highlands Reserve Golf Club.
- Ridgewood Lakes Golf & Country Club, 200 Eagle Ridge Drive.
Most people visiting Davenport don't do so for the shopping. While there are shops and stores in Davenport, the main shopping experiences on a trip to Davenport are to be had in some of the nearby larger centers, such as Orlando, Tampa, and Kissimmee.
- Posner Commons, 6500 grandview parkway. Beautiful new plaza opened right off US 27 and I-4 including a Dick's Sporting Goods, Subway, Michaels, Staples, Target, JCPenney (with salon), Best Buy + more!
You will find many of the most common national restaurant chains in Davenport, as well as a few local eating establishments.
- Davenport Cafe, 110 W Orange St, ☎ +1 863 422-1770.
- Diromio's Pizza & Grill, 101 Divine Dr, ☎ +1 863 420-2001. Lunch & dinner daily..
- D'oro Palazzo, 2200 Posner Blvd, ☎ +1 863 424-1100. Lunch & dinner daily..
- The End Zone, 42605 U.S. Hwy 27, ☎ +1 863 420-6569. Breakfast, lunch, & dinner daily..
- The Finer Taste, 1260 Posner Blvd, ☎ +1 863 424-3020. Lunch F/Sa. Dinner daily.. Wine & beer shop with gourmet light entrees and desserts.
- Hotel Tea Room, 301 W Maple, ☎ +1 863 421-0827. Breakfast & lunch M-F. Dinner F..
- Kumo Japanese Restaurant, 207 Ambersweet Way, ☎ +1 863 420-7779. Lunch & dinner daily..
- Mannino's Pizzaria, 43362 U.S. Hwy 27, ☎ +1 863 424-4222. Lunch & dinner daily.
- Mia Pizza, 2440 Sand Mine Rd, ☎ +1 863 420-3336. Lunch M-Sa. Dinner daily..
- The Proper Pie Co., 145 Ridge Center Dr, ☎ +1 863 286-9170. Lunch & dinner M-Sa. British restaurant.
- Sake, 2700 Posner Blvd, ☎ +1 863 420-0188. Lunch & dinner daily.. Japanese steakhouse.
- The Shamrock Pub & Grille, 43392 U.S. Hwy 27, ☎ +1 863 424-4242. Lunch & dinner daily..
- Sunday's Grill, 2414 Sand Mine Rd, ☎ +1 863 588-2162. Lunch M-Sa. Dinner daily..
- Webb's Candy, 38217 US 27, Davenport, toll-free: +1 800 289-9322. 8AM to 9PM. Citrus candy, ice cream and goat's milk fudge.
- Zen Asian Grill, 4812 Grandview Parkway, ☎ +1 863 420-9958. Lunch & dinner daily..
As with places to eat in Davenport, there are several national chains located in Davenport, along with some local bars and pubs:
- 19th Hole Bar & Grill, 102 Polo Park Blvd, ☎ +1 863 424-7277.
- Brass Rail Lounge, 43356 U.S. Hwy 27, ☎ +1 863 420-2278.
- Linksters Taproom, 201 Ambersweet Way, ☎ +1 863 420-7446.
- Liquorup, 1111 Holly Hill Rd, ☎ +1 863 422-8585.
- Tuscana Tavern, 1395 Tuscana Ln, ☎ +1 407 390-9826.
There are plenty of motels and hotels in and around Davenport. Additionally, short-term rentals of houses, apartments, and timeshares is also a popular lodging option for many visitors.
Near I-4/U.S. 27 interchange
- America's Best Inn & Suites, 44199 U.S. Hwy 27, ☎ +1 863 420-8888, fax: +1 863 424-6602. Complimentary breakfast, pool, pets allowed, & free wi-fi wireless internet access.
- Comfort Inn & Suites Maingate South, 4095 Hotel Dr, ☎ +1 863 353-4510, fax: +1 863 353-4511. Complimentary breakfast, pool, & free wi-fi wireless internet access.
- Coral Ridge Inn, 40990 U.S. Hwy 27, ☎ +1 863 438-7476, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Kitchen/efficiencies available, pets welcome, & free wi-fi internet access available.
- Days Inn & Suites Davenport, 2425 Frontage Rd, ☎ +1 863 424-2596, toll-free: +1-877-424-2596, fax: +1 863 420-9717. Complimentary breakfast, pool, pets allowed, & free wi-fi wireless internet access.
- Hampton Inn—Orlando Maingate South, 44117 U.S. Hwy 27, ☎ +1 863 420-9898, fax: +1 863 420-9797. Complimentary breakfast, pool, & free wi-fi wireless internet access.
- Holiday Inn Express, 4050 Hotel Dr, ☎ +1 863 420-6611, toll-free: +1-800-465-4329, fax: +1 863 420-7755. Complimentary breakfast, pool, & free wi-fi wireless internet access.
- Home Suites, 44089 U.S. Hwy 27, ☎ +1 863 424-2811, fax: +1 863 424-2811. Kitchen/efficiencies available, pool, pets allowed, & free wi-fi wireless internet access.
- Quality Inn Maingate Four Corners, 43824 U.S. Hwy 27, ☎ +1 863 424-2120, toll-free: +1-800-225-3351, fax: +1 863-424-5317. Complimentary breakfast, pool, & free wi-fi wireless internet access.
Four Corners area
- Bahama Bay Resort, 400 Gran Bahama Blvd, ☎ +1 863 547-1200.
- Days Inn Clermont South, 9240 W U.S. Hwy 192, ☎ +1 863 424-6099, fax: +1 863 424-5779. Complimentary breakfast, pool, pets allowed, & free wi-fi wireless internet access.
- Sandy Ridge Villas, ☎ +1 416 532-3557, e-mail: email@example.com. Two 1600 ft2 villas. Each 3 bedroom, 3 bath home has cable tv, wi-fi, and a heated outdoor pool/spa. $700/wk or $2250 for 4 wks.
The nearest public library with public-access computers and wireless internet is in Haines City.
- Davenport Post Office, 1 South Blvd E (Corner of South Blvd & Suwannee Ave, 4 blocks E of U.S. 17/92.), ☎ +1 863 422-4451. M-F 8:30AM-4:30PM; Sa 9AM-noon.
|Routes through Davenport|
|Tampa ← Lakeland ←||W E||→ Walt Disney World → Orlando|
|Punta Gorda/Tampa ← Haines City ←||S/W N/E||→ Kissimmee → Orlando|
|Ocala ← Clermont ←||N S||→ Haines City → Miami|