Darlington is a town in County Durham. Best known for its pioneering role in the development of the railway in the 19th Century.
Durham Tees Valley Airport - domestic flights to Aberdeen, Jersey and Southampton, international flights to Spain, Turkey, Malta, Italy, Finland, Bulgaria, Ireland and Netherlands.
Bank Top Station - train station with local and mainline services. British Rail connects to Darlington Railway Station from most large towns and cities. There is an office for Europe car Hire cars in the town.
Arriva buses connect Darlington to most local areas.
- Head of Steam (formerly known as The Darlington Railway Centre and Museum), ☎ +44 1325 405060, e-mail: email@example.com. Tuesday to Sunday: 10am-4pm. Exhibits some of the earliest steam locomotives to be found anywhere in the world. £3- £4.95.
"Art in the Yards" - large scale art works in an open air setting.
Ulnaby - buried medieval village, half mile walk from town.
- Joe Rigatoni's, Imperial Centre, Grange Road. Reasonably priced Italian style dishes such as pasta and pizza.
- Soho Restaurant, 156 Northgate. Chinese buffet restaurant with many different dishes to choose from. Open 7 days a week from 12 noon to 11pm, prices range from £4.90 to £7.90 per person depending when you go. Also does takeaways.
- Pizza Express, 1 Skinnergate. National chain restaurant serving Italian style food such as pizzas and pasta dishes. Decent wine selection.
- Garden of India, 43-44 Bondgate. Featured in the Wining and Dining Guide, serves its own lager, Kayani.
- Ochis, 30-32 Bondgate. Caribbean and Mediterranean restaurant, features live music nights. Check for opening times.
Most of the bars are clustered in an area around Skinnergate, which runs parallel to High Row, connected by a number of alleyways.
- Blackwell Grange Hotel, Darlington, DL3 8QH. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. From £45.
- Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington, DL3 7HZ. From £50.
- Kings Hotel, Preistgate, DL1 1NW. From £45.
- Headlam Hall Hotel, Headlam, near Gainford, DL2 3HA. A country hotel 7 miles from Darlington (about 20 min drive) with spa and golf facilities. Rooms from £90.
- Rockcliffe Hall, Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, DL2 2DU. A luxury country hotel 5 miles from Darlington (15 min drive), with spa and golf facilities. Contact hotel for room rates.