Danville was part of the settlement area around Harrod's Fort (now Harrodsburg) which was the first English permanent settlement in Kentucky. Walker Daniel, Kentucky's first District Attorney, bought land on the Wilderness Road and had it surveyed for a town in 1783-1784. The Virginia legislature officially established Danville on December 4, 1787.
Visitors can access Danville by automobile. US 127 is the main north-south highway, and US 150 provides access from the east and west. KY-52 passes through some scenic landscape and can be used if travelling from Richmond to the east.
- Constitution Square, 134 S. Second St. Danville, KY 40422, ☎ +1 859 239-7089, e-mail: email@example.com. Open 7 days a week. Hours 9AM-5p. Location where the first Kentucky constitution was signed. Visit Governor's Circle, a memorial for Kentucky's governors. Free. Group guided tours available for $1.50/person.
- Jacobs Hall at the Kentucky School for the Deaf, ☎ +1 859-936-6813, e-mail: or firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday - Friday 10-12 and 1:00-3:00 M-F Closed Major Holidays. A museum of the Kentucky School for the Deaf's history. 18 exhibit rooms. A Registered National Historic Landmark. Museum parking is available behind Jacobs Hall. Adults $3.00 6 -18 $1.00 Under 6 Free.
- Perryville Battlefield, 1825 Battlefield Rd. Perryville, KY 40468 (12 miles from Danville), ☎ +1 859 332-8631. A park preserving the largest Civil War battle fought in the state of Kentucky.
- The McDowell House Museum, 125 South Second Street Danville, KY 40422, ☎ +1 859-236-2804, e-mail: email@example.com. Monday – Saturday 10AM-12PM, 1PM-4PM (EST) Sunday 2PM-4PM; Closed on Mondays from November 1 – March. The former home and office of Dr. Ephraim McDowell where in 1809 the historic operation on Jane Todd Crawford to remove a 22 1/2 pound ovarian tumor was done, the first surgical removal of an ovarian tumor. The site is a Registered National Historic Landmark. Partially accessible to visitors in wheelchairs with ramps to the first floor of the house and gift shop. The 2nd floor and the apothecary shop are viewable by video. A closed captioned video is available for the hearing impaired. Adult $7.00, Senior $5, Students $3, Children $2. Discount groups rates available..
- Wilderness Trail Distillery, 445 Roy Arnold Ave., ☎ +1 859 402-8707. Part of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, this distillery produces bourbon, vodka, and rum from locally sourced grains. Open to the public for tours Thursday through Saturday.
- Pioneer Playhouse, 840 Stanford Rd., ☎ +1 859 236-2747, toll-free: +1 866 597-5297, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Performances nightly Tuesday-Saturday (Indoors in case of rain) from June 8 – Aug. 18. Dinner & Show – 7:30PM Show starts at 8:30PM. An outdoor theater and campground. Every two weeks, a different show all summer long! Adults Theater only: $16 Dinner and show: $28 Children (12 and under) Theater only: $9 Dinner and show: $15 Groups (of 10 or more) Theater only: $14 Dinner and show: $26.
- The Great American Brass Band Festival, Downtown Danville, ☎ +1 859-319-8426, e-mail: email@example.com. Great American Brass Band Festival the first and second week in June. Chautauqua Tea and Presentation. Gallery Hop. Brass Symposium. Concert at Shaker Village. Great American Balloon Race. Bayou and Brass. Evening Concerts. Run for the Brass 5-K. Main Street Parade. Free Concerts on 2 stages at Centre College and in Weisiger Park. Great American Picnic.
- Bluegrass Pub and Pizza, 235 W Main St. Suite 100, ☎ +1 859 236-7737, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday Closed, Tuesday 11AM - 9PM, Wed - Sat 11AM - 10PM. Brick oven pizza. Salads. Sandwiches. Draft and bottle beer. Wine by the glass or bottle.
- Melton's Deli, 247 East Main St., ☎ +1 859 236-9874. Lunch.
- Red Rooster Café, 118 E Main St, ☎ +1 859 236-2394. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.. Country style home cooking.
- The Hub Coffee House and Cafe, 236 West Main St., ☎ +1 859 936-0001. Mon-Thur 6:30AM - 9PM Friday 6:30AM - 11PM Saturday 7AM - 11PM Sunday 8AM - 8PM. Free wireless Internet access. Crepes, omelets, wraps. Meals$5-$10.00.
- Burke's Bakery & Delicatessen, 121 W. Main St., ☎ +1 859 236-5661. Doughnuts & pastries made fresh daily. Special occasion cakes.
- Karamel Kreations, 217 W. Main St., ☎ +1 859 238-2288, e-mail: email@example.com. Mon - Fri: 10:30AM - 5:30PM Sat: 10:30AM - 4PM. Gourmet caramel and gifts.
- Beer Engine, Larrimore Ln, ☎ +1 859 209-4211. Tuesday 4PM to 11PM Wednesday 4PM to 11PM Thursday 4PM to 11PM Friday 4PM to 12AM Saturday 4PM to 12AM Sunday to 10PM Closed Mondays. A micro-brewery & tap room.
Bed & Breakfasts
- The Golden Lion Bed & Breakfast, 243 N. Third St., ☎ +1 859-583-1895, toll-free: +1-866-453-5466, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. 3 rooms, 1 is a suite. WiFi. A 1840 Greek Revival home listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A genealogical resource and research center for the surname Jone. $95-$99.
- The Cottage Bed & Breakfast Suite, 2826 Lexington Rd., ☎ +1 859-236-9642, e-mail: email@example.com. Single two room suite in a cottage on a 200 acre farm. Sleeps 4 people. Deck with farm views. Air conditioning. Satellite TV. Wireless Internet. Continental breakfast.
- Pasick's Bed & Breakfast, 132 E. Lexington Ave., ☎ +1 859-236-0074. One bedroom with in Victorian home in the historic district within walking distance to downtown and Centre College. Wi-Fi, fireplace, whirlpool tub.
- Pioneer Playhouse Campground, 840 Stanford Rd., ☎ +1 859-236-2747, toll-free: +1-866-597-5297. 35 campsites. All sites have water and electric hookups. Picnic tables are provided. Firepits are located in the lower campground, only. 90 acres of wooded trails, adjacent to the campground. RV Sites: -$25 per night, $150 per week, $400 per month. Tent Sites: $10 per night, Dump Station: -(if not staying overnight): $3.
- Best Western Danville Inn, 210 Brenda Ave, ☎ +1 859 236-5525.
- Comfort Suites, 864 Ben-Ali Dr., ☎ +1 859 936-9300.
- Hampton Inn, 100 Montgomery Way, ☎ +1 859 236-6200.
- Quality Inn, 96 Daniel Dr., ☎ +1 859 236-8600.
- Bardstown - Home of several bourbon distilleries and is part of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.
- Harrodsburg - The oldest city in Kentucky.
- Lexington - Kentucky's second largest city.
- Richmond - Home of Eastern Kentucky University.
|Routes through Danville|
|Frankfort ← Harrodsburg ←||N S||→ Russell Springs → Crossville|
|Louisville ← Bardstown ←||W E||→ Mt. Vernon → END|