The area from Masson Mill in Cromford to the Silk Mill in Derby was declared a UNESCO Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site in recognition of the significant sites in the valley that influenced the development of the Industrial Revolution.
By rail from Derby on the Derwent Valley Line, operated by East Midlands Trains; railway station is a short distance outside the village, a level walk of approx 3/4-mile (allow at least 15 minutes).
On the main A6 Derby to Manchester trunk road. Nearest motorway is M1: J26 if travelling from the south or J28 if travelling from the north.
National Express service 440 daily from/to Manchester/London via Matlock. TransPeak long-distance bus line from Derby to Manchester and return stops in the village; daytime services approx every hour. TransPeak is also good for accessing the Peak District heartland, stopping at Bakewell and Buxton and various scenic locations.
- Cromford Mill, Mill Lane. The first water-powered cotton spinning mill developed by Richard Arkwright in 1771
- Masson Mill. Sir Richard Arkwright's water-powered cotton spinning mill built in 1783.
- Cromford Wharf. Canal warehouse buildings and the northern terminus of the Cromford Canal, built in 1794.
- High Peak Trail. Walk or cycle the path of the old The Cromford and High Peak Railway which was opened in 1831. Trail starts at High Peak Junction, just south of the village.
- Quiltessential, Mill Road, ☎ +44 1629 825936. Specialist fabric shop
- Scarthin Books, The Promenade, Scarthin, Cromford DE4 3QF, ☎ +44 1629 823272, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday-Saturday 09.00-18.00; Sunday 10.00-18.00. New, second-hand, rare and antiquarian, music, café, publishing.
- The Market Place Restaurant, 16/18 The Market Place, ☎ +44 1629 822444.
- Biddy's Tea Rooms (The Old Bakery), 11-13 Market Place, ☎ +44 1629 820802.
- The Boat Inn, Scarthin, ☎ +44 1629 258083.
- Alison House Hotel, Intake Lane (Three miles S of Matlock on A6), ☎ +44 1629 822211. Small country house-style hotel in quiet setting, own grounds and rural views. Convenient for industrial heritage Arkwright's Cromford Mill and historic village of Cromford. Family rooms available. £55-£105.
- Greyhound Hotel Cromford, Market Place, ☎ +44 1629 822551. Built in 1778 by Sir Richard Arkwright.