Kildare is known as "the shortgrass county", revealing its fame for sheep farming in the plains to the south. It is the horsebreeding capital of Ireland and home to the Curragh Racecourse, as well as many studfarms. Historically, it was inside the Anglised area known as "The Pale" and ruled by landlords such as the Fitzgeralds. County Kildare is Ireland's wealthiest county outside Dublin with many middle and upper class residents mainly in the north east of the county eg Naas and Maynooth. The largest town is Naas with a population of 30,000 and is also is the county town.
- The Japanese Gardens (Outside Kildare Town).
- The Irish National Stud (Outside Kildare Town located adjacent to The Japanese Gardens). This is a working thoroughbred horse farm.
- The Curragh Racecourse. The Curragh is home to the five Irish Classic Horse Races.
- Punchestown. Punchestown, near Naas is a steeplechase race track and home to the four day Punchestown Festival in late April.
- Castletown House, Castletown House, Celbridge, Co. Kildare, W23 V9H3 (From the M4 take Exit 6 (Celbridge West/Leixlip West Exit - R449, signposted for Castletown and Hewlett Packard). As you leave the M4, stay in the left hand lane and before the top of this sliproad there is a third lane on the left, go into this lane and then after approximately 100 meters you will see the modern Castletown Estate gates on the right.), ☎ + 353 1 628 8252, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Castletown House is open to the public for tours during the summer, serves food and is also a concert venue, with organic farmers market at weekends
- Golf There are some excellent golf courses in Kildare: The K Club (which hosted the 2006 Ryder Cup), Carton House, and Castlewarden Glof Clubs.
- The Hanged Man Pub (in Newtown, near The Curragh).
- The Bradaun Restaurant. Located in Leixlip House Hotel, Leixlip
- Mash Restaurant At The Osprey Hotel, Osprey Hotel, ☎ +353 45 881111. Head Chef, Kevin Curran's blend of international fusion cuisine. Breakfast: Monday to Friday – 07:00-10:00 Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays – 08:00-11:00 Dinner: Monday to Saturday – 06:00-21:30.
- Statler & Waldorf Bar & Lounge at The Osprey Hotel (Hotel Bar & Lounge in Naas). With Capacity for up to 450 people, private bar area upstairs and outdoor courtyard. Bar food menu served Monday to Thursday – 15:00-22:00 Friday – 15:00-21:00 Saturday – 12:30-21:00 Sunday – 17:00-21:00 Carvery Monday to Friday – 12:00-15:00 Sunday – 12:30-17:00.
- Club Bar& Lounge at The Keadeen Hotel, Newbridge.