Coniston is a picturesque lakeside village in the Lake District National Park. Coniston sits next to Coniston Water, the Lake District's third largest lake is the home to many attempts at the world water speed record. Sir Malcolm Campbell first broke the record on the lake in 1930 and his son Donald successfully broke the record four more times before his last attempt ended in disaster, crashing fatally at 300mph. The lake and its surroundings is also the inspiration for Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons - whilst Coniston's other major literary connection is as the long term home of John Ruskin
- Brantwood (John Ruskin's Home), Coniston, LA218AD (Follow the signs for Brantwood from Coniston), ☎ +441539441396, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open all year: March - Nov 10:30am - 5pm Dec - March 10:30am - 4pm. Impressive lakeside property that was home to John Ruskin; today opened to the public as a museum. Brantwood runs a number of courses, including art workshops and gardening courses, and holds regular events and exhibitions. There are extensive gardens and the Jumping Jenny restaurant with elevated terrace looking over Lake Coniston. Also available is a self catering holiday apartment within the house (see "Sleep"). House & Garden: Adult: £7.50 Child: Free (aged 5 – 16) Student: £6.00 Infant/Junior School Groups: £1.20 ; Secondary School Groups: £5.25 (Free for adult helpers and teachers) Gardens: Adult: £5.20 Child: Free Student: £4.30.
- Ruskin Museum. Museum celebrating the life and works of John Ruskin. Also has a section devoted to the Campbell's record breaking attempts
- Coniston Boating Centre. Electric & rowing boat hire
- Steam Yacht Gondola, Coniston Pier, Lake Road, LA21 8AN, ☎ +44 1539 432733, e-mail: email@example.com. Tour the lake on the steam yacht Gondola
- Climb the Old Man of Coniston
- The Black Bull, 1 Yewdale Rd, ☎ +44 15394 41335. This is a 17th-century inn and restaurant.
- The Bluebird Cafe.
- Brantwood Cafe, Brantwood, Coniston, LA218AD (Follow the signs for Brantwood from the village of Coniston), ☎ +441539449025, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Crown Inn.
- Harry's Bar.
- Holland's Cafe.
- The Ship Inn, Bowmanstead, ☎ +44 15394 41224.
- The Sun Inn.
- The Yewdale Hotel.
- Brantwood (The Eyrie & The Lodge), Coniston, LA218AD (Follow the signs for Brantwood from Coniston), ☎ +44 15394 41396, e-mail: email@example.com. £215+.