The island is a similar size to neighbouring Tiree, but has a less flat terrain. The population is about 200. The island is in the Argyle and Bute Council Area.
- Caledonian MacBrayne. Sail to Coll from Oban, with most sailings also serving the island of Tiree. The crossing takes about 3 hours. Daily sailings in summer (Apr-Oct); Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun only in winter. One sailing per day plus on some days the Oban - Barra boat also calls at Coll. Most of the sailings have early departures from Oban, so you may want to spend the night there.
- From Oban Airport at Connel there are flights to Coll on Mondays and Wednesdays, with some flights also serving Tiree. During the school terms, there are additional flights on Fridays and Sundays which can only be booked from the previous Wednesday.
There is no public transport or taxi service. You may be able to get a lift from a local. There are several places to hire bicycles.
- RSPB Bird Reserve, PA78 6TB. Information room, and viewing benches. Corncrackes best seen in May. Two suggested walks.
- Breachacha Castle. See the outside of a 15th century tower house in private use.
- Island Stores, Arinagour, PA78 6SY.
- Coll Hotel, Arinagour, Isle of Coll.
- Coll Bunkhouse, Arinagour, PA78 6SY, ☎ +44 1879 230217.
- Tigh na Mara B&B, Arinagour, PA78 6SY. Seven room bed and breakfast near the pier. Double room from £70.