Coleambally is a town of some 600 people situated amidst a cypress pine forest south of the Murrimbidgee River and 645 km south-west of Sydney via the Hume and Sturt highways. As NSW's newest town it was officially opened in 1968 to serve as the administrative, commercial and social centre of the Coleambally Irrigation Area. Begun in the 1950s the scheme covers 87600 ha. The area produces a diverse range of crops, including various grains, sorghum, safflower,corn,cherries,almonds,soya beans and vegetables.
Coleambally has a modern shopping centre, Motel, Caravan Park, Hotel and Bowling Club.
Birdlife and kangaroos are abundant in the area and can easily be seen on bushwalks through the pine forests.
- Bucyrus Class 3 Dragline. Located in the Lions Park at the entrance to town. It is one of four machines imported from the USA in 1935 and used to excavate the main channels in the Murray Valley and the Coleambally Irrigation area. They were 'walked' to Coleambally from Deliniquin following completion of the Mulawa canal and commenced work in the district in 1958. In 1978 the machine was driven to its present site and it is still in working condition.
- Wineglass Water Tower. A distinctive feature of the town, located near Brolga Place shopping centre. In 2008, it was decorated with over 64,000 glass tiles by a team of volunteers. It was completed in time for the town's 40th birthday celebrations in June, 2008.