Clarksville is a city in Clark County in Southern Indiana, directly across the Ohio River from Louisville. It is the oldest town in the Indiana Territory with a population of 21,000. The area code is 812.
Clarksville is located in a subtropical climate. Summers are hot and humid and warm at night. The wettest seasons are spring and summer and the occasional snow takes place in the winter.
From the north or south, the best access to Clarksville is I-65. There are five exits to Clarksville: Exit 0 (Jeffersonville's Court Ave will lead westward towards Clarksville's riverfront), Exit 1 (Browns Station Way offers access to Stansifer Ave), Exit 2 (Eastern Blvd), Exit 4 (Lewis & Clark Pkwy) and Exit 5 (Veterans Pkwy). From New Albany, Spring St. leads to Browns Station Way, which runs through Clarksville. I-265 has no direct access to Clarksville so motorists from the west (I-64) or northeast (IN 62) will need to exit to I-65 SOUTH to reach Clarksville.
Commercial air service is offered at Louisville International Airport, ten miles away. Smaller aircraft use Clark County Airport in Sellersburg, five miles away.
There is no Amtrak service to Clarksville.
There are three main roadways that serve the town: Lewis & Clark Pkwy (formally IN 131), Eastern Blvd and Veterans Pkwy. Lewis & Clark is the main drag through the town, running southwest to northeast connecting Browns Station Way near New Albany with I-65. Eastern Blvd runs southeast to northwest connecting I-65 in Jeffersonville with Lewis & Clark. The newer Veterans Pkwy (built in 2004) runs along the northern end of town, connecting Greentree Blvd with the north side of Jeffersonville.
Other roadways serve Clarksville. Browns Station Way (formally IN 62) is a limited access highway that cuts through Clarksville, connecting I-65 with the east end of New Albany. Greentree Blvd runs along the east side of Greentree Mall and connects the mall with Veterans Pkwy. Riverside Dr. runs along the Ohio River between Clarksville and Jeffersonville. Stansifer Ave, in the southside of town runs between Jeffersonville's Spring St. and Clarksville's west end.
Louisville's TARC offers bus service along the main roadways and shopping centers.
- Great Escape River Falls, 951 Lewis & Clark Pkwy (next to Bass Pro), ☎ +1 812-284-5561. First run movies.
- Atlantis Water Park Marriott Dr. Located next to Holiday Inn. Fun filled water pool and slides.
- Derby Dinner Playhouse, Marriott Dr. (Located next to Holiday Inn). Live theatre with dinner included.
- Indiana Downs Off Track Betting, Eastern Blvd next to Value City. Live horse racing simulcasts from around the nation. Smoking and non smoking rooms available.
- Wooded View Golf Course, Broadway & Potters Ln. in Endris Park. 18 hole golf course with driving range. Endris Park includes a lodge, playground and walking trails in a wooded area near Silver Creek.
Falls of the Ohio State Park
Around 387 million years ago this area was a shallow tropical sea. Living in the waters were countless corals, sponges, mollusks, and now extinct brachiopods and echinoderms. Over time, as these animals died, they became buried in layers and layers of sediment that helped to fossilize them. As the Ice Age glaciers retreated, the numerous fossil beds became visible, seen most heavily in the park location, but throughout the Ohio River Valley.
American history is vast in the park, and is discussed at the visitors center. George Rogers Clark established the first English-speaking settlement in the Northwest Territory in a part of the park, in 1778. Aaron Burr trained military troops in the area for a proposed Mexican invasion. William Clark and Meriweather Lewis set off on their landmark journey from the area.
The Falls consist of a series of rapids which were formed by the water flowing over an island of fossil beds. Now, only a small set of rapids are visible, due to the building of the McAlpine Dam in the 1920s. More than 600 species of fossils are found within the park, including hundreds of brand new species.
Over 270 species of birds (herons, egrets, waterfowl, osprey, falcons and the occasional bald eagle) and 125 species of fish (including the primitive paddlefish, striped bass, sauger, white bass, crappie and catfish) are found in the park.
- Late April Thunder Over Louisville Clarksville and Jeffersonville. The opening ceremonies to Louisville, Kentucky's Kentucky Derby Festival. Thunder Over Louisville is the largest annual fireworks show in the country, and the best viewing is along the Indiana shore of the Ohio River. If you plan to get a good seat, prepare to come the day before and camp. In the afternoon, private and military aircraft provide a magnificent airshow. After sunset, the fireworks begin and last nearly half an hour.
- Early-mid October Harvest Homecoming Festival New Albany. The largest festival in southern Indiana brings participants from miles around. The festivities begin with a Saturday morning parade through the streets of New Albany. THe festival lasts for several weeks, and includes vendor booths downtown and carnival rides.
Clarksville has long been the leading retail destination for this region of Indiana. New retail stores along Veterans Pkwy have secured that reputation.
- Clark Station Lewis & Clark Pkwy at Eastern Blvd. Includes Kroger,Ashley Furniture, AJ Wright and Feeder Supply
- Clarksville Commons Lewis & Clark Pkwy at I-65 Stores include Home Depot, hh Gregg, Pier One.
- Clarksville Towne Centre Lewis & Clark Pkwy at Triangle Dr. Includes Office Depot and Big Lots.
- Computers Plus of Clarksville, Veterans Parkway. Great place for all your computer needs, including service.
- Greentree Mall Lewis & Clark Pkwy at Greentree Blvd. Over 80 stores including anchors JC Penney, Dillard's and Sears. Smaller specialty stores include Waldenbooks, Radio Shack, Rave, Claire's, Bath & Body Works, The Gap and several jewelry stores. DQ and Subway offer food choices.
- Lowes, Veterans Pkwy west of I-65.
- River Falls Between Lewis & Clark Pkwy and Bass Pro Dr. Includes Bass Pro Shop, the second largest store in the Bass Pro Shop chain. Islamadora Fish Company on the third level. Center includes Toys R Us, Dick's Sporting Goods and 12 screen Great Escape Theater.
- Sam's Club, Veterans Pkwy west of I-65.
- Staples, Veterans Pkwy next to Lowes.
- Value City, Eastern Blvd at Hallmark Blvd. Includes Value City Furniture
- Wal-Mart, Veterans Pkwy west of I-65.
- Waterford Park Veterans Pkwy at Bass Pro Dr. Upscale retail center that includes Target, Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Davis Bridal and Lane Bryant.
- Waterford Park South Veterans Pkwy at Bass Pro Dr. Across the street from Waterford Park. Includes Smith's Furniture, Edible Arrangements, PetSmart and GFS Marketplace.
Bakery & Cafe
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, 1122 Veterans Pkwy, ☎ +1 812-288-0689. The best doughnuts around.
- Panera Bread, Veterans Pkwy at Bass Pro Dr.. Fresh baked bread and bakery goods.
- Famous Dave's, 1351 Veterans Pkwy (at I-65). Good place for barbeque.
- Jersey's Cafe, 1515 Lynch Ln, ☎ +1 812-288-2100.
- Mark's Feed Store, 513 Lewis & Clark Pkwy, ☎ +1 812-285-1998. Good barbeque. Try the buttermilk pie.
- Golden Corral, Cedar St off of Lewis & Clark Pkwy. Good family style cooking
- Bob Evans Farms Restaurant, 1101 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy, ☎ +1 812-282-8299. Country breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Chuck E Cheese, 1100 Lewis & Clark Pkwy, ☎ +1 812 218-9790. Family pizza restaurant.
- Denny's, 943 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy, ☎ +1 812-288-5189. Home of the Grand Slam menu.
- Frisch's Big Boy, 744 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy. Home of the Brawny Lad Platter.
- IHOP, Veterans Pkwy at Broadway. Breakfast,lunch and dinner menus.
- Steak N Shake, I-65 at Lewis & Clark Pkwy. Famous for steakburgers.
- Applebee's, Lewis & Clark Pkwy at Applegate Ln. Friendly neighborhood bar and grill.
- Cheddar's Casual Cafe Veterans Pkwy at I-65 Features a large aquarium.
- Hooters, 941 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy, ☎ +1 812-284-9464. Famous wings and waitresses.
- O'Charleys, 1440 Vaxter Ave (off of Lewis & Clark Pkwy), ☎ +1 812-284-9646. At the corner of good food and great times.
- Ruby Tuesday, Veterans Pkwy at I-65. Handicrafted burgers.
- Fazoli's, Lewis & Clark Pkwy at Greentree Blvd. Fast, fresh, Italian.
- Olive Garden, Veterans Pkwy west of I-65. When you're here, you're family.
- Stratto's, 318 W. Lewis & Clark Pkwy, ☎ +1 812-945-3496. Mid-scale Italian restaurant
- Don Pablo's, 940 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy. Two level Mexican restaurant.
- El Caporal 515 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy 282-7174.
- La Loma 560 Eastern Boulevard (812) 283-3775
- La Frontera 754 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy 258-0074. Central Mexican cuisine.
- Moe's Southwest Grill, Waterford Park South. A burrito in every hand.
- Ruben's Mexican Restaurant Veterans Pkwy at I-65 Wide variety of Mexican foods.
- Senior Iguanas, 1415 Broadway (I-65 at Lewis & Clark Pkwy), ☎ +1 812-280-8555. Authentic Mexican restaurant & bar.
- Asian Buffet 1305 Veterans Pkwy
- China Buffet 706 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
- Kansai Japanese Steakhouse I-65 & Veterans Pkwy
- You A Carry Outa 827 Eastern Blvd Voted best Asian food by The Evening News.
- Clarksville Seafood 916 Eastern Blvd 283-8588. Great seafood, but early closing hours.
- Hungry Pelican Eastern Blvd west of I-65 Good seafood. Try the fried zuccini.
- Islamorada Fish Company, 951 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy, ☎ +1 812-218-5300. Located inside Bass Pro Shop on third level mezzanine overlooking store.
- Skip Jack's, 1418 Blackiston Mill Rd (next to K-Mart), ☎ +1 812-282-7557.
- Logan's Roadhouse, Lewis & Clark Pkwy at I-65. Mesquite grilled steaks and peanut covered floors.
- Longhorn Steakhouse, Veterans Pkwy at Broadway. Great steaks and a large time.
- Outback Steakhouse, Broadway between Lewis & Clark and Veterans Pkwys. Food from down under.
- Texas Roadhouse, 757 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy (inside Greentree Mall), ☎ +1 812-280-1103. Fall off the bone ribs, steak, chicken.
- Jewels House of Tea 632 Eastern Blvd
- Starbucks. Two locations. Inside Target and second floor of Bass Pro Shop.
- Louisville Athletic Club Rivar Falls Center 951 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy near the Bass Pro Shop. 45,000-square-foot fitness center with two racquetball courts.
- America's Best Value Motel, I-65 at Eastern Blvd. Budget motel
- Best Western Green Tree Inn I-65 & Lewis & Clark Pkwy Located on Broadway. Budget motel.
- Hampton Inn Louisville North, 1401 Broadway (Accessible from either exit 4 or 5 from I-65). Moderate priced hotel with continental breakfast and outdoor pool. Interior corridors.
- Holiday Inn Lakeview, I-65 at Stansifer Ave (Use Exit 1 from I-65 and follow frontage road to Stansifer Ave). Moderately priced hotel including indoor pool and restaurant. hey
- Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, 1620 Leisure Way, ☎ +1 47129 812-283-9696. Fitness Room and free wireless high-speed Internet access.
- ValuePlace Clarksville, 1811 Independent Court (I-65 & US 31 North), ☎ +1 812-285-0100. Extended stay hotel.
Most telephone numbers in Clarksville, as well as the rest of the Indiana side of the Louisville area, consist of +1 812 plus a seven-digit number, but a second area code (+1 930) was overlain onto the entire 812 area in September 2014. A local or in-state telephone call now requires all 10 digits of the local number be dialed (omitting just the leading +1 from a local landline call).
Signage on many established businesses may still display the original seven-digit numbers; dial 812 before these if no area code is indicated.
|Routes through Clarksville|
|Indianapolis ← Scottsburg ←||N S||→ Louisville → Bowling Green|
|END ← New Albany ←||W E||→ becomes → Jeffersonville|