Chillicothe is a city in Ross County in Southwest Ohio and is the county seat of Ross County. In the 1800s, it was designated as the capital of the "eastern section" of the Northwest Territory. Later the State Constitutional Convention was held in Chillicothe and in 1803, Ohio entered the Union, Chillicothe became the first state capital of Ohio. The name of the City was derived from a Shawnee word meaning "principal town". It is located along the Scioto River and Paint Creek.
Hopewell Culture National Historic Park
- Approx 45 miles South of Columbus along US-23 or SR-104
- Approx 80 miles South East of Dayton along US-35.
- Approx 100 miles East of Cincinnati along US-50
- Approx 44 miles North of Portsmouth along US-23 or SR-104
- Port Columbus International Airport, 4600 International Gateway, Columbus. PH:(614)-239-4083 Port Columbus International Airport (IATA: CMH) is served by all the major airlines, with direct flights to most major American cities.
- Pump House Center for the Arts, Yoctangee Park, ☎ +1 740 772-5783. Tu-F 11AM-4PM, Sa-Su 1PM-4PM. The Pump House was constructed in 1883 as a municipal pumping station for distribution of water from the deep well field located in Yoctangee Park. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, The Pump House is an example of Victorian Gothic architecture housing an ever changing collection of painting, sculpture and art.
- Dard Hunter Studios, 8 Highland Ave, ☎ +1 740-774-1236. The Mountain House was built in 1850 by a German family named Meggenhofen who operated a winery here for many years, tending the terraced vineyards below the house. Gift shop is open M-F, 9AM to 5PM. Reservations are required for a tour. Call at least 24 hours in advance to schedule an appointment.
Bird Claw and Bear Tooth in mica - Hopewell
- Adena Mansion and Gardens, Adena Road, outside of Chillicothe, +1 740-772-1500. Home of Thomas Worthington (1773-1827), sixth Govenor of Ohio and one of the states first United States Senators. Quite a place.
- Chillicothe Railroad Museum, Paint and Water Sts, ☎ +1 740-702-7675. M-F 10AM-4PM, Sa-Su noon-3PM.
- Hopewell Culture National Historical Park, 16062 State Route 104. A group of 23 earthen mounds originally built by the Hopewell culture, 200 BC to AD 500, destroyed by the US Federal Government to build Fort Sherman in 1913 and then partially rebuilt/restored and turned into a National Historic Park.
- James A. Thomas Telephone Museum, 68 E Main St, ☎ +1 740-772-8200. M-F 8:30AM-4:30PM. Free.
- Dr. John D. Harris Dental Museum, 209 Main St, ☎ +1 740-634-2228. Bainbridge Hours vary.
- Lucy Hayes Heritage Center, 90 W 6th St, ☎ +1 740-775-5829. Hours vary.
- Majestic Theater, 45 E 2nd St. Longest running, free standing theater in United States.
- Ross County Heritage Center, 45 W 5th St, +1 740-772-1936. Hours vary.
- Roscoe Village, 381 Hill St, ☎ +1 740-622-9310, toll-free: +1-800-877-1830. Restored Ohio & Erie Canal port village.
- Sugarloaf Mountain Amphitheatre - Tecumseh!, 5968 Marietta Rd. Huge outdoor stages.
- Chillicothe Paints. Single A, Frontier League Baseball - 90 game schedule
- Paint Valley Jamboree, 125 E Main St, ☎ +1 740-634-3333. Bainbridge - Oldest country music show in Ohio, since 1965. Every Saturday night at 7PM. Call for reservations.
- Annual Feast of the Moon Festival Last weekend in May
- Charity Bed Race 4th of July
- Ross County Fair First full week in August
- Easy Rider Rodeo every Labor Day Weekend
- International Sunflower Festival Frankfort, Labor Day Weekend
- Mountain Heritage Camp out Tar Hollow State Park. Friday, September 19, 2008 to Sunday, September 21, 2008
- Apple Harvest Festival Sept. 17-18, 2007
- Fall Festival of the Leaves Bainbridge. October 16-18, 2008
- Lucy and Rutherford Hayes Anniversary Dinner, ☎ +1 740-755-1780. Lucy Hayes Heritage Center, 90 West Sixth St. December 30, 2007. Reservations required.
- Bavarian Toy Works, 45 N Paint St. Toys for children of all ages
- Kitchen Collection, 1075 N Bridge St, Suite 202 (Chillicothe Mall), ☎ +1 740-775-3915. You'll find a wide variety of cookware, bakeware, small appliances, decorative wood, marble and ceramics, great gadgets for every kitchen task, and the best of the kitchen/housewares seen on TV. This company of 200+ locations in 44 states began right here in Downtown Chillicothe.
- Bob's Bootery, 100 N Paint St, ☎ +1 740-775-5652. Providing many national brand footwear such as Birkenstock, Jumping Jacks, Munro, New Balance, Dexter USA, Clarks, Extra Depth, Drew and more! And leather goods handcrafted by local artisan
- Chillicothe Farmers Market, 475 Western Ave. May-Oct: Sa 8AM-noon. Anyone interested in selling at the market can register between 7AM and 8AM
- History Store, 101 N Paint St, ☎ +1 740-775-7400. M-Sa 10AM-5:30PM.
- The Cellar Room, 203 W Water St (two blocks west of the city park on the corner of High and Water Sts.), ☎ +1 740-775-9848. Tu-F 10:30AM-5:30PM, Sa 10AM-5PM. Long known for its unique and unusual gifts and antiques. The original store started in the cellar (hence the name) and is now expanded to include the main floor.
- Vern's Giovanni's Pizza & 5 Way Chili Parlor, 423 Western Ave, ☎ +1 740 773-0042. Locally owned and operated, New York style pizza
- Max & Erma's Restaurant, 10 River Trace Dr, ☎ +1 740 773-2323. A high quality chain restaurant specializing in large hamburgers and good atmosphere.
- Crispie Creme, 47 N Bridge St, ☎ +1 740 774-3770.
- Old Canal Smokehouse, 94 E Water St, ☎ +1 740-779-3278. M-Th 11AM-9PM, F-Su 11AM-10PM.
- Mona Lisa Café, 35 N Paint St, ☎ +1 740-779-3337. M-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM. Mediterranean Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge. Greek, French and Middle Eastern food plus steaks, salmon, burgers and gyros. Entertainment on weekends. Wireless internet available.
- Carl's Townhouse, 95 W 2nd St, ☎ +1 740 773-1660. 6AM-5PM daily. Carl's is a family owned, hometown diner style restaurant. Great food for breakfast and lunch... but don't expect dinner there, because they close at 5PM.
- County Crust Bakery, 4715 SR 41 South.
- The Old Home Place, ☎ +1 740-998-4303. 1/4 mile north of U.S. Route 35. Amish Bakery - Troyer Meats - Cheese - Bulk Foods.
- Great Seal State Park, 635 Rocky Rd. 15-site campground, pressurized water, vault latrines, playground, shelterhouse, pet camping, shelterhouse, horse camp, twenty-two miles of trails, hunting, playground equipment, disc golf course, volleyball, basketball, horseshoe court.
- Best Western Adena Inn, 1250 N Bridge St, ☎ +1 740 775-7000, fax: +1 740 773-1622.
- Holiday Inn Express, 1003 E Main St, ☎ +1 740 779-2424.
- Victoria Manor Bed and Breakfast, 30 Western Ave, ☎ +1 740-775-6424, toll-free: +1-800-852-1093. Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 11:59AM. $70-110.
- Hampton Inn & Suites' Chillicothe
- Country Hearth Inn Chillicothe
- Comfort Inn Chillicothe
- Christopher Inn And Suite
- Scioto Trail State Park, Ross County, south of Chillicothe, east of Route 23 on CR 372. 55 campsites, 40 with electricity, latrines, water, fire rings, picnic tables are provided. A secluded hike-in camp near Stewart Lake has 18 non-electric sites. Two rustic camper cabins are available. Fishing, hunting, twelve miles of hiking trails, 17 miles of bridle trails, nature center, basketball, horseshoe courts, playground, games and sporting equipment to registered campers, basketball, horseshoe courts and volleyball court.
- Tar Hollow State Park, east part of Ross County, east of Chillicothe, at 16396 Tar Hollow Road, Laurelville, 71 sites with electrical hookups, 11 non-electric sites, 12 walk-in sites, and 5 primitive sites along a backpack trail. Equipped with showers, laundry facilities, pit latrines and a dump station. The beach is close by. Boating with electric motors only, permitted on the 15-acre Pine Lake. Perfect for canoes and rowboats.
|Routes through Chillicothe|