Chiclayo is in northern coastal Peru.
Chiclayo is one of the liveliest Cities in northern Peru with a population of around 970,000. Perhaps the better Lima being big enough to have supermarkets and still small enough to be manageable without hours spend in city busses. The plazas like Parque Principal or Plazuela Elias Aguirre buzz with live even after sunset.
The three major airlines, LAN, Avianca and LC Perú, operate daily flights from Lima to Chiclayo. A taxi should cost PES/2 for the 1km journey into the city center.
All the major bus lines are present in Chiclayo but most have their own terminal spread out over the City. Linea is on Av. Bolognesi 638 One block west of Linea is the Terminal for most north- or eastbound busses. Movil is around the corner opposite the Metro supermarket (LP says Av. Bolognesi 199 but I think it is Av. Jose Balta)
Chiclayo is full of Tico taxis. Short journeys cost PES/3. A station would be better if less easy to find to go to Sipan, Ferreñafe, Lambayeque or the beaches PES/15, or Tucume PES/20. Moto taxis cost half the price, are better ventilated, but give less protection.
Lord of Sipan tomb - The discovery of the Lord of Sipan considered the "King Tutankamon of the Americas", is one of the most spectacular tombs discovered in the western hemisphere. Sipan's treasures show the Moche culture's ability with several metals: gold, silver and copper and precious stones in fine quality and a mastery in metallurgy unrivalled in the Americas, centuries before the Incas. There are two different Sights connected with the Lord of Sipan:
- The Sipan Museum - Museo Tumbas Reales de Sipan
- The museum is situated in the center of Lambayeque and definitely worth a visit although descriptions are in spanish only. It features most of the treasures of the Sipan tombs together with thorough explanation what the grave looked like and how it was discovered in 1989.
- Entrance fee is 10 S/. Student discount only for national students. Open Tuesday to Sunday 9am - 5pm.
- Collectivos from and back to Chiclayo run frequently (20 minutes, 1.30 S/.). In Chiclayo ask in the collectivo stations.
- Sipan tombs
- The actual excavation site some 30 kilometers out of town
Tucume - The Valley of 26 pyramids built by the ancient peruvians.
Sican Museum - that host and interesting remains of Sican culture. It is located 20 minutes from Chiclayo in Ferrenafe. Yes this is different from the Sipan Stuff
Witch Market Deep in the market quarters is one row of shops called the witch market (probably second row of shops coming from around Arica #950)
Real Plaza shopping center and Ripley in the city center. Mercado Modelo is a very big market where it´s possible to buy almost anything. It´s crowded and it´s easy to get robbed so be careful.
Mi Tia's located on Elias Aguirre on the corner of the town square is excellent! Very friendly staff, a good selection of food, to go orders, dine in and at night they have a burger window!
Marakos Restaurant Offers good menus. Grilled beef is one of the most popular and delicious dishes.
Sorrentos... this evening only set of diners is not to be missed....easily the best beef empanadas in the nation! Excellent French fries and top notch salad! Also great Lomo!
Fiesta Gourmet restaurant It is the most famous in the north for its quality.
- ALOJAMIENTO Z, Mariscal Catilla 118 (CHICLAYO), ☎ +51 74-222534. Check-in: 06 am, check-out: 01 pm. Av Bolgnesi cuadra 9. Just close to CRUZ DEL SUR terninal of buses. Quiet in the center of town: 25.
- Gran Hotel Chiclayo. Located in the hearth of Chiclayo. It is considered the best in the city.
The bus companies, hotels & thieves are very central. Do not flash any valuables (such as taking a photo) when walking around this area; it looks safe but there are thieves around.
Pimentel is a fairly unsafe area. Travellers are reported to be robbed there in bright daylight, close to the beach.
- Transportes Linea has hourly buses to Trujillo (3 hours) & on to Lima (11 hours).
- Movil Tours are good value to Chachapoyas & Tarapoto.