Chernihiv (Ukrainian: Чернігів) , located in the north of Central Ukraine, is one of the most ancient and most interesting cities of Ukraine known in the world primarily for its sacred Christian temples created over 1000 year's history of the city and being invaluable treasure of Ukrainian people.
In the medieval times Chernihiv, located in the North of Ukraine at a distance of 150 km from the city of Kiev, was the second most significant center of the ancient Rus' state. Five Orthodox Churches, the gems of ancient Rus' art, came down to us almost intact from the times of Kyivan Rus' state.
Buses (80 UAH) leave from Kiev's Lisova Metro station when they are full, usually every 15 to 20 minutes. Buses also leave from the Chernihiv Metro station (80 UAH), and are easily reached by walking out the exit, turning left, walking on the sidewalk over the train line to the adjacent highway. The buses stand "in line", and you take the bus furthest down the line (i.e. the first one in the line). These small buses are called Mashrytkas and leave every 15 to 20 minutes. These same buses leave from Chernigov to return to Kiev frequently throughout the day from various stops, including at the McDonalds, in front of the Mega Mall on Prospekt Mira, and on Prospect Pobeda just before it intersects with Prospect Mira.
- Chernіgіv Railway station (Залізничний вокзал "Чернігів"), Peremohy ave., 1, ☎ +380 462 77-43-75, +380 462 222 005.
- Chernihiv-Pivnichnyi Railway station (Залізнична станція Чернігів-Північний), Borysenka str. (North 3km.), ☎ +380 462 657681.
- Bus station #1 Chernihiv (Aвтобусний вокзал No.1), Peremohy ave., 3, ☎ +380 462 2 4-50-27, +380 462 222004.
- Bus station #2 (Автостанція №2), Murynsona str., 27., ☎ +380 462 2 4-10-36.
- Bus station #3 (Автостанція №3), 50 rokiv SRSR str., 5, ☎ +380 462 2 3-70-97.
Public transport includes buses and trolleybuses. Subtle detail of public transport routes is that there is no direct connection between railway station and Chernihiv-1 bus station to the most central sights on the Val - you will have to take any trolleybus or bus from the station to crossing of Prospekt Mira and Prospekt Pobedy (Hotel "Ukraine" stop; look for the end of the boulevard along Prospekt Mira near it), and than walk through historical centre a little. Trolleybus 1 and bus 38 will take you even one stop further, to Drama Theater stop near Pyatnickaya church, but no further. Consult map, as different routes come to Hotel "Ukraine" from different sides, you will have to walk along Prospekt Mira along its continuation after boulevard ends.
Contemporary Chernihiv, is a charming provincial city. It's sites include a museum, several parks and green areas. The rose colored train station is an outstanding place to visit, as is the park at the town center which features a giant Lenin statue and a sober monument to the dead from the Afghan war. Just south of the city center, and an easy walk, is the theater and red square, the "Alley of Heroes" honoring the heroes from the Great Patriotic War (W.W.II), then on to Saint Catherine's Church, and then across the street lies the famous 'Val' where the most ancient of Chernihiv's churches are located. Chernihiv contains two functioning monasteries and ancient Orthodox churches around 1000 years old. A unique site is the Anthony Caves, where numerous relics of saints and the miracle making icons of Our Lady are found. All of these ancient sites make Chernihiv a sacred site of Orthodoxy.
A one-day trip to Chernihiv offers a sightseeing tour including the visit to Detinets, the ancient center of the city, Our Savior Transfiguration, Sts. Boris and Gleb's, Assumption Cathedrals, St. Elijah's and Good Friday Churches known as the gems of ancient Rus' architecture, masterpieces of Ukrainian Baroque Holy Trinity Monastery, St. Catherine's Church, Collegium as well as St. Anthony's caves. The train station is a uniquely beautiful piece of architecture.
- Resurrection Church (Воскресенська церква), Komsomolska str.,42. Built in Baroque style in the years 1772-1775. It is brick, stucco, stacked structure.
- Building of theological seminary and St. Theodore Church (Будівля Духовної семінарії, Федора церква), Polubotka Hetmana str., 40/2. In the beginning the XVIII item here was farmstead of the known colonel Paul Polubotka, and then to October revolution a spiritual seminary was disposed. Pseudo-Byzantine architecture or called the Bulgarian architecture.
- Military & historical museum (Військово-історичний музей), Shevchenka str.,55A, ☎ +380 4622 3-01-87, +380 462 2 39040. Found in 1985. The exposition dedicated to the participation of Chernihiv in the Great Patriotic War
- V.Tarnovskyi Apartman Museum (Будинок музею українських старожитностей В.Тарновського), Shevchenka str., 63. Ukrainian antiquities museum collection, gathered by the well-known patron of Vasily Vasilyevich Tarnowski, owner and son Kachanivka friend of Taras Shevchenko.
- The old post-house of province treasury (Будівля поштової станції губернського казначейства), Horkoho str., 8. Now building of "Ukrainian Invstment Bank"
- Chernihiv regional art museum, Horkoho str.. Built XIX century. More than five thousand items - works of Ukrainian, Russian, Italian, Dutch, Flemish, French and German masters of XVII-XIX centuries.
- Regional historical museum (Обласний історичний музей), Horkoho str., 4, ☎ +380 462 67-67-93. More than 130 thousand exhibits from different periods of history from ancient times Chernihiv to the present.
- The old Governor Mansion (Будинок губернатора), Horkoho str., 4. Territory of "Billow" continued to remain the administrative and cultural center of Chernigov. Here built a stone house for the governor at the beginning of a 19th cent., – later it used for classic masculine gymnasium. Now it is the V.V.Tarnavskogo historical museum.
- House of Lyzohuba (House of Mazepy) (Будинок Лизогуба (Будинок Мазепи)), Pidvalna str.. An ukrainian hetman mansion.
- Church of Saint Catherine (Єкатерининська церква), Myru ave.. Consecrated in 1715. A beautiful white-stone church with its gold domes. The Catherine's Church - the greatest monument to Ukraine-style "Ukrainian Baroque».
- The former house of Mykolaiv diocese fraternity (Будівля Миколаївського єпархіального братерств), Myru ave., 15. Built in 1911-1912. From 1932 to 1942 here was the Chernigov regional musical-dramatic theater. A philharmonic society got in 1964. Example of architecture of unslavonic style.
- The Old Chernigiv College (Kolegium) (Чернігівський колегіум), Preobrazhens'ka str., 1. One of the eldest middle educational establishments on Western Ukraine. It was founded in 1700.
- Boris and Gleb Cathedral (Борисоглібський собор), Preobrazhenska str., 1. Founded in 1120, Chernigov Prince David, the grandson of Yaroslav the Wise. The structure resembles cathedral monastery church late 11th century. In the years 1627-1659. there was a Dominican church. Here is the famous carving of the capital with a picture of "Chernihivbeast", which some researchers relate to the Iranian deity Semargl. There is also a masterpiece of the jeweler's art - 56 kilogram silver gilt royal doors, from 1700's.
- The State Bank Building (Будівля Державного банку), Mahistratska str., 7. The Chernihiv branch of the State participating bank. In 1893 opened.
- Building of City Bank (Будівля міського банку), Kyrponosa str., 16. In 1875 a city public bank which was disposed here.
- Black grave (Chorna mohyla) Archeological monument (Курган "Чорна могила"), Kniazia Chornoho str., 9. - The «Black grave» burial mound is - one of the greatest Old Russian burial mounds which was saved on territory of Ukraine. Disposed in Chernigov not far away from the Elecko-uspenskogo monastery. On legend, exactly in the «Black grave» a prince was buried Black, which founded a city and gave him the name. A burial mound has imposings sizes: in a diameter is 40 m and a circum is 125 m.
- Mansion house of H.Ostapenko (Садибний будинок Г.Остапенка), Vorovskoho str., 6. - It is a two-storeyed mansion. Symmetric, with two lateral rizalitami, he is crowned gablets – with monograms and date of building of house – "1906".
- Kruti skhody Art gallery (Художня галерея Круті сходи), Vorovs'koho str., 10, ☎ +380 462 67-46-61. - The exhibition features works of folk art known authors in the country - Ukraine's folk artists. Objects like artistic pottery and carvings, paintings and painting on glass, embroidery, weaving, glass, jewelry.
- M.M.Kotsiubyns'kyi Mmorial Museum (Музей-заповідник М.М.Коцюбинського), Kotsiubynskoho str., 9, ☎ +380 4622 4-10-03, +380 4622 4-13-45. - The Museum-Reserve of the famous Ukrainian writer Mykhailo Kotsyubinskogo (1864-1913) was formed in 1934. There three rooms: a bedroom, dining room and living room with part of the study of the writer were open to visitors. A lot of things that surrounded Michael Kotsyubinskogo for life, was carefully preserved. Among them, the author manuscripts, photos, magazines, books and Kotsyubinskogo about it, family heirlooms, personal belongings of the writer, talk about their interests and preferences. Memorial garden maintained in such a way that had the writer's life.
- Sviato-Uspinskyi Yeletskyi Monastery (Свято-Успінський Єлецький монастир), Kniazia Chornoho str.. Founded in XI century, by the Grand Duke Svyatoslav of Chernigov Yaroslavich. Rebuilt in 1445, 1579 and 1611. The cathedral abbey church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, built in 1060, was the update to the XV.th century and beginning of XVII.th century. Here, is the iconostasis "Eletskaya" - Chernigov Icon of Our Lady, which appeared in 1060 near the city of Chernigov to eat, from which got its name.
- The Chernihiv railway station (Будівля залізничного вокзалу), Peremohy ave., 1. The Chernihiv railway station is monumental building. Built after 2nd W.W., by the German and Hungarian prisoners of war. Restored in 1999.
- Old Russian Necropolis (Комплекс курганів Давньоруський Некрополь), Tolstoho str (Boldyny hills (Boldyny hory)). - Old Russian Necropolis is a complex of burial mounds from IX, X and XI.th centuries. Over 250 burial places are found. There found an almost one and a halfmeter sword, shield, battle-ax and chain mail etc.
- Elias Church (Іллінська церква), Uspens'koho str. - Disposed at an entrance in Antonievy of cave on the South slope of Boldinoy's hill. Now it is operating as a museum.
- Trinity-Elias Monastery (Троїцько-Іллінський монастир), Tolstoho str., 92E. - Consists of the former Elias (XI - XVII century.) and Trinity (1677 - 1780.) monasteries. Since 1790 Trinity Monastery became the seat of the Archbishop of Chernigov. Trinity Cathedral has functioned as a parish church until 1929. Than became acting nunnery. Nowadays the monastery is the residence of the Archbishop of the Ukrainian Church of the Moscow Patriarchate. Today on the monastery grounds are acting Trinity Cathedral (it was founded in 1679 by Lazar Baranovich by architect John the Baptist), the refectory with Vvedenskoj church (the only double tower church on the Eastern Ukraine. Dated 1677-1679.), the bell tower in 1775 ( a 58 meters high building, which offers a magnificent view of the city).
- Vena Shopping centre (Гіпермаркет "Вена"), Proektna str.,1 (1.5km, N), ☎ +380 462 65-30-73, +380 462 65-30-74. 8:00-21:00.
- Megatsentr Shopping centre (Торгово-розважальний комплекс "Мегацентр"), Myru ave., 49, ☎ +380 462 60-03-00.
- Hollywood (ТРЦ Голівуд (торгово-розважальний центр)). 10:00-22:00.
There is a Potato House on Prospekt Mira which serves Euro-Mexican. There is a McDonald's on Prospect Mira and a wonderful restaurant next to the city square named Senator.
There is a coffee shop named Chashka (meaning cup) in the Mega Mall.
- Hotel Hradets'kyi (Готель Градецький), Myru ave., 68, ☎ +380 462 661839, +380 462 661925.
- Hotel Ukraine (Готель "Україна"), Myru ave., 35, ☎ +380 462 67-41-77.
- Hotel N.M.Ts. (Готель НМЦ), Shevchenka str., 105A, ☎ +380 462 95-23-69.
- Hotel Prydesnianskyi (Готель Придеснянський), Shevchenka str.,99A, ☎ +380 462 954802.
- Hotel Bryansk (Готель Брянськ), Shevchenka str., 103, ☎ +380 4622 3-07-18, +380 4622 3-37-57, +380 4622 3-57-50.
- Park-Hotel Chernihiv (Парк-готель Чернігів), Shevchenka str., 103-a, ☎ +38 (0462) 64 -64 -64, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hotel Zolotiy bereg (Готель Золотий берег), Berehova str., 16, ☎ +380 462 61-30-04.
- Post office #6 (Відділення зв'язку No.6), Myru ave.,17, ☎ +380 4622 7-32-40.
- Post office #13 (поштове відділення No.13), Shevchenka str.,22, ☎ +380 4622 3-31-28.
- Post office #24 (поштове відділення No.24), Peremohy ave., 1, ☎ +380 4622 4-50-44.
- Sedniv (Седнів). 30 km east. There are Wooden Church of Grygoi, beautiful river Snov and greet hills is around. It's very ancient town of Chernihiv region (second after Chernihiv).
- Nizhyn (Ніжин). 90 km southeast. There are Complex Vvedensky convent, Church of the Ascension, Nezhinskaya Fortress etc.
- Novhorod Siverskyi (Новгород-Сіверський). 175 km northeast. The town is the former residence of the Chernihiv metropolitans, the monastery of the Saviour's Transfiguration. It features a ponderous Neoclassical cathedral (1791), 17th-century stone walls, and several ecclesiastic foundations, dating from the 16th century. Other landmarks include the Cossack Baroque Assumption cathedral, a triumphal arch (1787), and the wooden church of St. Nicholas.