Chatham is a town on the River Medway in the north of the English county of Kent, UK. Together with its neighbouring towns of Rochester and Gillingham it forms a large urban area known as the Medway Towns.
- From London, take the A2 arterial road (32 miles / 51 km).
- From Canterbury, take the A2 and the M2 to Junction 3 for the Rochester exit (32 miles / 51 km, about 40 mins).
Chatham Station is located south of the Town Centre shopping area. Trains are operated by SouthEastern, 08457 484950.
Fast trains operate to/from London Victoria (typical journey time 45 - 60 minutes) and slower stopping trains to/from London Charing Cross/Waterloo/London Bridge via Dartford (typical journey time 60 - 65 minutes). Trains to/from Ramsgate & Dover Priory also serve Chatham.
High Speed 1 trains from London St Pancras and Faversham serve Chatham. For local journeys these trains are more expensive than the other routes.
- The Historic Dockyard, ☎ +44 1634 823807. An old naval dockyard now run as a museum. Open daily in spring and summer, weekends only in winter.
- Fort Amherst, Dock Road, Chatham, ME4 4UB, ☎ +44 1634 847747. Open daily in summer.
- The Feast, 10 Batchelor Street. Chatham, ME4 4BT. Good basic Turkish restaurant. Although they do kebabs (and other stuff) it is nothing like a kebab shop. A good 3 course dinner with soft drinks (they do sell wine and beer) cost £10.
- Medway Youth Hostel. Capstone Road, Gillingham, ME7 3JE 0870 770 5964. 40 bed summer hostel about 4 miles from Chatham, housed in a districtive converted Oast House in a semi-rural setting.
- St George Hotel, 7-8 New Road, Avenue, Chatham, ME4 6BB, ☎ +44 1634 841012. About 5 minutes walk from Chatham station. Single rooms £40, doubles £60.
- Holiday Inn Rochester, Maidstone Road, Chatham, ME5 9SF, ☎ +44 870 400 9069. Modern hotel about 4 miles from the town centre.
- Ramada Encore Chatham, Western Avenue, Chatham Historic Dockyard, ME4 4NT, ☎ +44 844 8010 313. Opened in 2007, located near the entrance to the Dockyard and Dicken's World, and 1-2 miles from the town centre. Rooms about £60 without breakfast.