Charmouth is a seaside resort. Surrounded by beautiful coastlines and countryside, the area has now been awarded World Heritage Site Status; famous for its geology and fossil finds.
- Trains: The nearest train station is Axminster, which is on the route from Waterloo to Exeter.
- Buses: There is also a good bus service (X53) along the Jurassic Coast.
One very good way to get around is to walk along the South West Coast path.
- Golden Cap. the highest point on the south coast of England.
- Fossil hunting. in front of the cliffs by the beach. There are lots of fossilised ammonites in the sediment layers in the cliffs, and as weathering occurs, the cliffs are eroded and the fossils are left on the beach. The best time to go hunting is in Spring, when the winter's storms have exposed many fossils. Most are small, some are the size of your palm, and one or two are surprisingly large--up to a metre in diameter!
- Relax on the Beach. where you get fantastic views of England's first natural World Heritage Site - the Jurassic Coast.