Castro Marim is a very old town, founded before the Roman Empire, that is surrounded by hand-harvested sea salt - 'salinas' - and a Natural Park protected by 1982's Ramsar Convention. Its castle belonged to the Templary organization until 1356. Now there are incredible medieval style parties in the last week of August and local festivals in September.
Drive to/from Faro or any other place in the Algarve.
- Alturas Beach.
- Guadiana River.
- Monte Gordo Beach.
- Praia Verde Beach.
- Vila Real de Santo António do CUCA (Near Praça Marquês de Pombal).
- Quinta da Fornalha. A very nice country cottage, in a ecological farmhouse of local people that can show you around. They have 3 cottages with 2 rooms each, very nice furnished, warm, with kitchen and modern style. Each night is very cheap, about €80 for each whole house where can sleep from 4 to 6 persons. You can visit the animals of the farm like milk cows, Lusitan horses or Portuguese donkeys. Also you can learn to do yogurt or to produce 'CAL' a natural traditional white pigment from calcario rocks that is used in all Mediterranean houses and that makes the white houses style.
- Cacela Velha, UNESCO protected
- Alcoutim, 100% EU Natura Space
- Ayamonte just across the border in Spain. A ferry operates over the Guadiana river that separates Portugal and Spain