Carpinteria is a small oceanside city in Santa Barbara County.
Located only a few miles south of Santa Barbara, this city of about 13,000 is most known for its large sandy beach and state park.
Seals and sea lions have a rookery at the Carpinteria Bluffs and can be seen from December through May. There are also tide pools in the area that contain anemones, sea urchins, crabs, starfish, snails, fish and octopus.
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park (take 3rd St until it dead-ends at Ash). The estuary is an excellent place for birdwatching. Interpretive trails lead through the marsh, and viewing platforms are also available. The estuary covers an area of 230 acres, 120 of which are owned by the University of California at Santa Barbara and are off limits to visitors.
Visit the beautiful beach. Visit the State park and go shopping in the various antique stores through the town. Ride along the Seaside Shuttle to visit historical sights throughout the city.
- California Avocado Festival (Avofest), 800 Linden Ave (Carpinteria Ave and Linden Ave), ☎ +1 805 684-0038, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Held annually on the first weekend in October, this three-day festival attracts nearly 100,000 visitors and celebrates all things avocado. The festival features over 75 musical acts on four stages, the "largest avocado" competition, the world's largest vat of guacamole, plenty of food, historical exhibits, a children's venue, and an arts & crafts venue. Free.
A few of the places to eat in Carpinteria are The Spot and Señor Frogs. The Spot offers a medium price food selection from burgers to fries to tacos.
- Best Western Carpinteria Inn, 4558 Carpinteria Ave, ☎ +1 805 684-0473, fax: +1 805 684-4015.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 5606 Carpinteria Ave, ☎ +1 805 566-9499.
- Motel 6 Santa Barbara-Carpinteria North, 4200 Via Real, ☎ +1 805 684-6921, fax: +1 805 566-0387.
- Motel 6 Santa Barbara-Carpinteria South, 5550 Carpinteria Ave, ☎ +1 805 684-8602, fax: +1 805 566-9097.
- Ventura - Located on the coast 23 miles southeast of Carpintera, Ventura is home to many interesting shops, the historic Mission San Buenaventura, and is the gateway for excursions to the Channel Islands National Park.
- Ojai - Located 22 miles to the east, Ojai is a popular weekend getaway for Southern California residents, offering wine tasting, art galleries, hiking, horseback riding, spas, and a rustic environment for those looking to escape the big cities.
- Montecito - Bordering Santa Barbara and located along the ocean, Montecito is located eight miles west of Carpinteria and is one of the wealthiest communities in America, home to stars such as Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres, and Rob Lowe. Visitors seeking luxury, and who can afford to pay for it, will appreciate the upscale resorts; those who would rather not pay a small fortune for lodging can still enjoy the beaches and excellent restaurants.
|Routes through Carpinteria|
|Santa Barbara ← Montecito ←||N S||→ Ventura → Los Angeles / Long Beach|
|END ←||W E||→ Ojai → Santa Paula|
|San Luis Obispo ← Santa Barbara ←||N S||→ Ventura → Los Angeles|