There are no major public transportation links to Carlisle. The Greyhound bus stop closed sometime after 2000, and there has not been a train station in the city for many years. The closest public transportation is in Harrisburg. The Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) and I-81 pass through Carlisle.
The two main streets in Carlisle are Hanover and High Streets. These streets intersect in the middle of town, creating a nice square by the courthouse. Most of the buildings of interest in Carlisle are located along one of these two streets.
There is only one first-run bookstore in the entire city, the Whistlestop Bookshop on High Street.
Amy's Thai Cuisine - on High Street
Miseno's Ristorante and Pizzeria - on W High Street
California Café - on W Pomfret Street
Mt. Fuji - really good sushi and for reasonable prices. Ask for the Mt. Fuji (Not on the menu). Located on 149 N Hanover Street.
Euroburger - Bosnian cuisine. Located on 51 S Orange Street.
- Hotel Carlisle and Embers Convention Center, 1700 Harrisburg Pike, toll-free: +1-800-692-7315. Has 267 guest rooms and suites with special business class rooms. Accommodations include heated indoor pool, saunas, hot tub, fitness center, game room, 24-hour business center, and high-speed internet access. Special onsite features of Embers restaurant and "Shooters" billiards room.
- Ramada Limited Carlisle, 1252 Harrisburg Pike, I-81 Exit 52, ☎ +1 717-243-8585.
- Residence Inn by Marriott – Carlisle, 1 Hampton Court (Exit 226 off Turnpike and Exit 52 off I 81.), ☎ +1 717-610-9050. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Hampton Inn – Carlisle, 1164 Harrisburg Pike, ☎ +1 717-240-0200.
- Sleep Inn Carlisle, 5 East Garland Drive (I81 Exit 47), ☎ +1 717-249-8863. Free breakfast.
|Routes through Carlisle|
|Pittsburgh ← Breezewood ←||W E||→ Mechanicsburg → Harrisburg|
|Wilkes-Barre ← Harrisburg ←||N S||→ Chambersburg → Hagerstown|