Canggu proper is a small village on the beach about 20 minutes north of Seminyak, half way to Tanah Lot. Canggu is widely used though to refer to a large coastal stretch of about 8 km, running north from the village of Berawa (just north of Seminyak) to the village of Cemagi (just south of Tanah Lot) taking in Echo Beach, Seseh and Pererenan along the way. It is still a largely rural area away from the beaches, but is being developed fast.
The beaches have dark grey or black sand and are not particularly good for swimming, but do offer some renowned and challenging surfing spots.
Nelayan Beach (Fisherman Beach) is where you can still get fresh fish, lobsters, prawns etc every early morning. Five minutes walk between Berawa Beach and Batu Bolong Beach.
The area is popular with many expatriates who choose to live here, and a large number of the villas owned by overseas nationals are located here. Much of the area features quietly undulating terrain with the rice paddies that typify much of south central Bali.
Taxis can be hard to find in this area and most travel tends to be by private car or motorcycle. Consider booking accommodation with a complimentary airport pickup as this is the easiest way to get to Canggu.
- Very pastoral, Canggu offers a chance to observe the daily rhythms of Balinese village life.
- Check out the sunset from your perch on a surfboard.
- Black sand beaches. Amongst the better beaches in this area are Berawa, Echo Beach and Pererenan.
- Umalas Stables, Jl Lestari 9x, Banjar Umalas Kauh, ☎ +62 361 731402, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. This is Bali's main horse riding stables and many packages are offered. Trotting along the Canggu beaches is especially popular
- The nearby Nirwana Bali Golf Course Tanah Lot. Designed by Greg Norman and is constantly voted one of the best golf courses in Asia; it is situated beside the dramatic, waved-lashed sea temple of Tanah Lot just to the north.
- Various activities are offered at the Canggu Club. Bali's first (and only) country club.
- Casa Day Spa & delivery, Jl Raya Canggu 58A (in between Berawa and Batu Bolong Intersection), ☎ +62 612 149911. 12noon-8PM. Spa treatment\". Rp 40,000-225,000.
- Yoga Classes (Serenity Yoga Canggu Bali), Jl Nelayan, Br (On the way to Batu Bolong Beach), ☎ +62 361 8469257, e-mail: email@example.com. 7am-10pm. Beginner, intermediate and advanced yoga classes. No reservation required, bring towel. 100,000 IDR.
- OM Beach Lounge Restaurant (opposite Hotel Tugu), ☎ +62 361 9604121. 8AM-11PM. International style food in a large bamboo construction, nice sunset views. Organic market on Sundays, child friendly environment.
- Dukuh, Jl Canggu Club 31, Berawa (directly between the Canggu Club and Berawa Beach). Good value restaurant in a convenient location with nice rice field views. Mains around Rp 30,000.
- Alkaline Restaurant, Jl Nelayan, Br Canggu (On the way to Batu Bolong Beach), ☎ +62 361 8469257, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 10am-10pm. Vegan Raw Western Indonesian Cafe and Juice bar. Offers healthy snacks and meals 10k-60k.
- People's, Jl Batu Bolong No 56C (right in front of Deus), ☎ +62 812 2862 9408. noon-1am. Recently opened. Probably the best sushis and tapas in Canggu. Nice selection of cocktails and gorgoous view over the rice paddy. Live jazz band every Saturday. Most mains Rp 25,000-60,000.
- The Beach House, Jl Pura Batu Mejan (at Echo Beach), ☎ +62 361 7474604. 7:30AM-midnight. Popular with local expats and visitors. Sunset views and a variety of eating areas. Tables spill out onto a beach side area, live music, seafood barbecues. Most mains Rp 25,000-50,000.
- Cafe Lemongrass, Jl Canggu, ☎ +62 361 8450597, e-mail: email@example.com. Dine in or takeaway Thai food.
- Sukerti's Garden Restaurant, Jl Pantai Berawa (next to Legong Keraton Hotel), ☎ +62 361 8550056. 7AM-11PM. A garden restaurant in the Pantai Berawa Area close to the surf spot. Western and Asian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Free WiFi, surfer shower and a garden. From Rp 20,000.
- Sol Beach Cafe, Jl Pura Batu Mejan, ☎ +62 361 7453897, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 8AM-9:30PM. Beachside cafe offering local food plus decent pizzas and burgers.
There is no real bar culture in Canggu, but the trendy designer bars of Seminyak are only a 20-25 minute drive away.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Budget||Under US $50|
|Splurge||Over US $130|
There are a variety of small hotels and bungalow collections in this area. The most prevalent form of travel accommodation though is a seemingly never ending supply of private villas.
- Mia House Canggu Daily Monthly Rental, Jalan Dugul 1, Banjar Babakan, Indonesia, ☎ +62 821 45066 445. 3 bedrooms Bali Style House, fullly furnished + maid, lush tropical garden, can be rented 1 bedroom or the whole 3 bedrooms house. From US $50.
- The Chill House, Jl Kubu Manyar 22, ☎ +62 813 53376872. Surf retreat. Weekly packages include meals and accommodation. Surfing lessons, yoga, massages and temple trips can all be added to your package. From US $50.
- e-homestay Canggu, Jl Pantai Pererenan (300 m from Pererenan Beach), ☎ +62 878 62570040. A homestay with sea and rice field view. 1 minute walk to the surf beach at Pererenan. US $28 / Rp 250,000.
- The Raja Ombak Surfers Resort (Stormrider-Surfcamp Bali), Jl Subak Pangi, Pererenan, ☎ +62 361 7434000. A surfers resort. Weekly packages include breakfast, accommodation and surf-guiding. Yoga, massages and temple trips can be organised. From US $40.
- Serenity Eco Guesthouse, Jl Nelayan, Br Canggu (On the way to Batu Bolong Beach), ☎ +62 361 8469257, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 2pm, check-out: 1pm. family guesthouse, yoga, ecofriendly. 150m from Canggu beach US$30.
- Legong Keraton Beach Hotel (on Berawa beach, the southern part of greater Canggu), ☎ +62 361 730280, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A long established hotel. More than a bit run down, but has a good quality spa and restaurant. Single room accommodation and beachfront cottages. From US $80.
- Rumah Wayan (Wayan's House), Jl Pantai Batu Bolong 48X/45 (surf area of Canggu), ☎ +62361 4731820, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 12PM, check-out: 11AM. Tropical house, arranged in a traditional Balinese style of architecture. US $60.
- Creative Boutique Hotel, Jl Nelayan 300 (about 900 m from the beach), ☎ +62 878 6242 7774, +62 878 6242 7775, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 11AM. A boutique hotel. US $52.
- Desa Seni, Jl Kayu Putih 13, Pantai Berawa, ☎ +62 361 8446392. Each room in this self-styled "village" is situated in an antique house, with a newly refurbished interior. Saltwater pool, spa, a restaurant with many organic and vegetarian options, and yoga classes twice daily. From US $150.
- Hotel Tugu Bali, Jl Pantai Batu Bolong, Canggu, ☎ +62 361 731701. Beach-side hotel with good service and numerous dining and spa options. Contains many Indonesian antiques and beautiful relics. Worth a visit just for the antiques and restaurant. From about US $300.
- Villa East Indies, Jalan Pura Gede Batur, ☎ +62 361 733875, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 6-bedroom villa with stunning views of rice terraces and extensive collection of Indonesian antiques. From US $425~1225/night.
- The Grove Villas, Jalan Kelecung Umalas, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 12noon. From US $145-355 per night.
- Villa Asmara, Cemagi. Balinese architecture with modern facilities. Large swimming pool, games room, shared tennis court, 4 bedrooms. Fully staffed villa ideal for families. From US $450.
- Villa Echo Beach, Jl. Batu Mejan, Gg Echo, ☎ +6281386637111, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 12PM. 2, 3 and 4 bedroom private pool villas only 250 m to the beach From US $120.
- Villa Umalas, Jalan Umalas I, Umalas, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 12noon. 2-bedroom villa from US $155 per villa per night.
- Belle Bali Villas (Bali Canggu Villas), Jl. Raya Canggu gang Bintang (Canggu,Bali), ☎ +62 361 788 6877, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. From US $130.
- Ametis Villa, Jl Pantai Batu Bolong, ☎ +62 361 773888, fax: +62 361 773800, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. From US $475.
- Anyar Estate, Jl Bumbak Dauh, Umalas (off Jl Bumbak), ☎ +62 361 736559, e-mail: email@example.com. 5 private villas, 2, 3 or 4 bedroom villas each with its own pool, 24 hr security, concierge, and room service. From US $250.
- Villa Maridadi. 5 bedroom beachfront home between rice fields and the ocean in the traditional village of Cemagi, Fully staffed, 20 m swimming pool, tennis court and games room. From USD 895.
- Komea Villa, Jl. Subak Sari No. 7, Br. Tegal Gundul, Ds. Tibu Beneng, ☎ +62 361 4738509, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 1-2 bedroom villa, all fitted with private swimming pool, elegant living space and lush tropical landscape. From US $170.
- Nilofaur Villa. Large private villa built in 2007. Good location. 17 m swimming pool and fully equipped gym. The Buwit River borders the gardens. 5 bedrooms, private pool and garden. Fully staffed including private cook and maids. US $700-1,000.
- Pure Villa Bali, Jl. Aseman Bagus, ☎ +62 361 8446189, e-mail: email@example.com. 6-bedroom villa. US$ 1,400 / night.
- Salimett, Jl Raya Semer no 883, Semer (100 m from Berawa beach). Fully staffed 4 bedroom villa is designed in traditional Bali style with individual antique joglos for each of the rooms. Bar and chill-out area, 20 m private pool, kitchen, dining room for 12, main living room and entertainment room. From US $635.
- Simona Oasis and Spa. 5 bedroom villa with 1,000² m private spa on a spur of land at the confluence of two rivers. Walking distance from the beach. Fully staffed, car and driver included. From US $925.
- Uma Di Beji. Accessed via its own 150 m driveway and bridge. 5 bedroom villa in a secluded rice field location. Various buildings, all with traditional Balinese alang-alang (thatched) roofs, frame the gardens and the large suites of the house. The mature garden and numerous water features lead down to a large lava rock swimming pool. US $850-1,250.
- Villa Avalon Bali, Jl. Pura Kayu Putih, ☎ +62 361 8042673, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 1, 2, 4 and 7 bedroom villa with private pool. US $225~1450/night.
- Villa Ira Bali (in the Pantai Berawa Estate). 5 bedrooms villa. Sunset views over the Indian Ocean. From US $1,200.
- Villa Kavya (next to the Canggu Club), ☎ +62 361 754344. Modern 4 bedroom villa with TV room, pool and lush garden. Comes fully staffed and includes cook and security. US $600.
- Villa Mako. 3 bedroom retreat with swimming pool and large garden. Single-storey villa is neo-colonial in style, similar to the Dutch guesthouses in Java, characterised by louvred shutters, old teak doors and high wooden ceilings built of old timbers. The villa is fully staffed and has a private swimming pool. US $370-490.
- Villa Menari, Jl Brick lane (just off Jl Bumbak), ☎ +62 361 7447643, e-mail: email@example.com. Private villa in the rice paddies. The villa comes with car, driver and personal chef. From US $400..
- Villa Pangi Gita (turn down Jl Pantai Pererenan, off Jl Raya Canggu). 3 bedroom villa with traditional-style living and sleeping pavilions, tropical gardens and fish ponds. From US $450.
- Villa Puri Bawana, Jl Raya Semer no 883, Semer, ☎ +62 361 731 074. 5 bedroom villa, with 30 m swimming pool, 7,000² m of gardens surrounded by rice fields and within walking distance of the beach. Guests have access to the sporting and social facilities at the nearby Canggu Club. from US $1,025.
- Villa Sungai Tinggi (beachfront, Jl Pererenan). 4 bedroom villa (with two studies convertible into extra bedrooms), 100 m of private beach frontage, lush tropical landscape and bordering rice fields. Fully staffed, 18 m swimming pool. The villa combines traditional materials with local artifacts. From US $875.
- The bright lights, shopping centres and nightlife of Seminyak are just 25 minutes away.
- The temple of Tanah Lot, famed for its sunsets, and the Nirwana golf course is 20 minutes away by car.