West Busan consists of the districts of Sasang-gu, Gangseo-gu and Saha-gu in the city of Busan. This western part of the city is full of industrial parks leading to docks and the airport. There are however some nature areas preserved. It contains the Western district of Sasang, known for its large intercity bus station as well as Gimhae town.
- Sasang Bus Station has many intercity connections throughout South Korea.
- Busan Metro Line 2 runs through this area, also connecting to the Gimhae Light Rail that connects Busan to Gimhae International Airport and Gimhae town.
- This is the closest part of Busan to Gimhae International Airport.
- If coming via the high speed KTX train from Seoul, then Gupo KTX station is much closer to this area than Busan Station itself.
- Sasang Train Station is close to the metro and bus stations.
- Nakdong River Estuary Migratory Bird Sanctuary (낙동강하구에코센터) (Line 1 - Hadan Station). 08:00 - 20:00. The spot where the Nakdong River meets the South Sea has been declared a natural monument since 1966. Where the large mouth of the river forms, there are sand dunes and deltas and many small islands (including Ilung-do). It is now a bird sanctuary for migrating species that visit between October and March. There are over 150 different species (including many rare birds like white-naped cranes, black-faced spoonbills, and white-tailed eagles) that stop here on their migratory routes. It's difficult to reach by land, so it's best to take a boat from Myeongji-dong harbor. The best times to see the birds is early in the day, before it gets too hot.
- Taejongdae Park (태종대 유원지), Busan-si Yeongdo-gu Dongsam-dong San 29-1 (From Busan Station, take city bus number 88 or 101 and get off at Taejongdae Park (10 min interval / 40 min ride)). Named after King Taejong Muyul (654-661) of the Silla Dynasty who practiced archery here after unifying the Three Kingdoms. During the Joseon period, King Taejong (1400-1418) is reputed to have visited here for recreation and pleasure. The magistrate of Dongnae also came here during a major drought to offer prayers for rain. Taejongdae is a famous tourist attraction in Busan, with its white lighthouse overlooking the green sea. Many people enjoy eating fresh raw fish on the rocky shore, taking a boat around the Olyuk ('five or six') Islands, and seeing the famous 'Suicide Rock.' When the weather is nice, the Japanese island of Tsushima can be seen in the distance, 56 km away. The scene from the observation deck is beautiful and the white lighthouse together with the green sea looks very exotic. The walk from the entrance to the lighthouse is quite long, although a shuttle bus runs from the shops. Free.
- Jillye-myeon traditional pottery village near Gimhae
Your best option in this area is to head into central Gimhae and enjoy one of its famous chicken restaurants.
There are a few bars to be found around the Sasang bus station, however the region is not regarded as a place for going out.
Sasang bus station has a wide range of cheap motel options around.
- The historical town of Gimhae, with ancient tombs and a reputation for great chicken restaurants.