Congreso is a dense downtown area of Buenos Aires that houses the legislative branch of government at the opposite end of Avenida de Mayo from the "pink house" seat of the executive branch.
- Plaza de Congreso, immediately in front of the congress building, contains some interesting sculpture, including a copy of Rodin's Thinker.
- Confiteria El Molino, located just in front of Palacio del Congreso, to the right. This art nouveau coffeehouse (now closed) used to be the meeting point for many cultural and political figures. The coffeehouse was built in 1917 and closed in 1997, year in which was declared National Historic Monument.
- Teatro Liceo, located in the corner of Rivadavia with Parana and opened in 1876, is one of the oldests theaters in the city. Its original name was "El Dorado". Eva Peron, before entering the political scene, performed once when she was a young actress.
The congress building is open for tours.
- Hostel Estacion Buenos Aires, Solis 458, Congreso, ☎ +5411-4381-0734, e-mail: email@example.com. A short walk from the Obelisk, Estación Buenos Aires Hostel offers budget, shared and private accommodations with a 24-hour reception desk. Wi-Fi is free. A continental breakfast is served every morning at the Estación Buenos Aires. There is also a bar for evening drinks. Rates start at 11 USD (Dorms for 4 and 6 people).
- Arahaus hostel, ☎ +54 11 4382 8375, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Calle Mexico 1482 (second floor), Congreso. A sweet home located on Calle Mexico, Congreso (at the south end of centro). This is a converted apartment with just a few nice rooms. Free internet and a TV in the front room. It is run by a really nice chica called Hebe, who will make you feel at home, and it is cheap (current prices are: US $20/ARS$100 per night for a double room as of Feb. 2011). Hebe actually prefers to host students who will stay for several weeks or months (prices then get cheaper) but is open to one or just a few nights. Anyway, it is definitely worth checking out for a tranquil stay in Buenos Aires.