Bristol is a city bisected by the Virginia-Tennessee border; the north half is in Virginia and the south half in Tennessee. State Street runs along the borderline and the two cities share a downtown.
Bristol, Virginia is an independent city in Virginia, bounded by Washington County, Virginia and Sullivan County, Tennessee. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 17,835.
Bristol, Tennessee is in Sullivan County. As of the 2010 census, the city has a total population of 26,702.
Originally named Goodson, the city was renamed to Bristol in 1890.
The closest major airport is Tri-Cities Airport (TRI) and is approximately 20 miles driving distance.
Interstate 81 connects Bristol with other cities (Roanoke, VA to the north and Knoxville, TN to the south) along a scenic and well maintained corridor that is a major route for private and commercial traffic. Bristol can be accessed via exits 1, 3, 5, and 7 in Virginia and exit 74 in Tennessee. Exit 3 on I-81 leads to I-381, a short spur freeway that takes traffic into downtown Bristol.
Public transportation is available to a limited portion of the city via a municipal bus system.
- Downtown district including shopping, historic landmarks in the history of Country Music.
Cumberland Square Park and War Memorial
- Bristol Motor Speedway, 151 Speedway Blvd. A NASCAR short track auto racing venue. An enlarged cartoon version of this track appeared as the "Motor Speedway of the South" in Pixar's "Cars" in 2006.
- Bristol Microtel Inn & Suites, 131 Bristol East Road, ☎ +1 276 669-8164, fax: +1 276 669-2805.
- Courtyard Bristol, 3169 Linden Drive, ☎ +1 276 591-4400, fax: +1 276 591-4402.
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 3005 Linden Drive, ☎ +1 276 466-4100.
- Motel 6, 21561 Clear Creek Road, ☎ +1 276 466-6060, fax: +1 276 466-0755.
- Fox Manor Bed & Breakfast
|Routes through Bristol|
|Roanoke ← Wytheville ←||N S||→ Kingsport → Knoxville via|
|Roanoke ← Wytheville ←||N S||→ Splits into and|
|Merges with ←||N S||→ Johnson City → Knoxville|
|Merges with ←||N S||→ Kingsport → Knoxville|