Bowling Green (Ohio)
- Bowling Green Visitor Center, 2151 Alumni Dr, ☎ +1 419 372-2336, toll-free: +1-800-866-0046, fax: +1 419 575-9691, e-mail: email@example.com. M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 8AM-noon. Information about BGSU, maps and visitor parking as well as Bowling Green city and community information,discounts on retail and dining in the historic downtown district, travel and overnight packages and a variety of self-guided and guided tour options.
Since Bowling Green is at exit 181 on I-75 it is a quick 30-minute drive south from Toledo a 2 hour drive north from Dayton and 1 hour drive south from Detroit. Regional car services include: a city subsidized taxi service with low rates, B.G. Transit as well as Reliable Taxi, Supercab, BG Airport Shuttle and Bill's Limousine.
The Slippery Elm Trail goes 13 miles south to North Baltimore. The trail is asphalt and features several rest stops and water fountains. Cyclists can get around through most of the city, the BGSU campus and the city parks.
Downtown Bowling Green is a historic district that is charming and easy to walk around. Parking is available along both sides of the street and directly behind the Main Street buildings.
The University provides a free shuttle bus service for students and community members with both on-campus and off-campus shuttle bus routes. A map of those routes can be found at Parking Services Live tracking of the shuttles at bgsu.transloc.com
Taxicabs are very inexpensive at $2-3 per fare (as of June 2013) B.G. Transit is a city subsidized public transportation service whose route is determined by scheduled rides. It is advisable to schedule your ride at least an hour in advance, but accomdations will be made for short-notice. 1-800-579-4299
- BG Wind Farm.
- City Park. Waterpark and Golf Course.
- Simpson Sensory and Children's Garden Park,
- Stone Ridge Golf Club.
- Forest Creason Golf Course.
- Gish Film Theatre & Gallery.
- Snook's Dream Cars Classic Car Museum.
- Wood County Historical Center & Museum.
- Little Red Schoolhouse.
- National Construction Equipment Museum.
- Wolfe Center for the Performing Arts.
- BGSU Planetarium.
- Wood County Historical Center and Museum, 13660 County Home Rd, ☎ +1 419 352-0967. Tu-F 9:30AM-4:30PM, Sa-Su 1PM-4PM. The Wood County Historical Center and Museum is the original site of the Wood County Infirmary. The Infirmary opened its doors in 1869 and closed in 1971. This site reopened its doors as the Museum in 1975. The museum is home to over 30 exhibits, and offers a variety of educational experiences as well as information on the uses of the original site and history of Wood County and Northwest Ohio.
- Snook's Dream Cars, 13920 County Home Rd, ☎ +1 419 353-8338. M-F 9AM-4PM, Sa-Su by appointment. Classic car museum features a recreated 1940's era Texaco gas station with authentic antique signage, a showroom of extensive automobile memorabilia, coin operated antique machines and classic cars that are all in excellent working order and are even driven on a regular basis. Within the museum painted murals and background scenes recreate the looks of a 1930's general store to a racetrack from the 1960's. The car collection features models from the 1930's to the 1960's. The facility also houses a complete four-bay shop for maintaining collector cars and a special area for events. Adults $6, seniors $5, children $4.
- National Tractor Pulling Championships, 13800 W Poe Rd (Wood County Fairgrounds), ☎ +1 419-354-1434. Annual Event held the third weekend in August.
- Black Swamp Arts Festival, ☎ +1 419 354-2723. F 5PM-midnight, Sa 10AM-midnight, Su 11AM-5PM. Bowling Green's local artists come and share their work with the community to help celebrate the arts. Fine arts and crafts throughout the Downtown area. Children's activities, live music, demonstrations, and various art events all weekend. Free.
- Winterfest, ☎ +1 419 353-9445. Daytime and nightly events. Winterfest is the third weekend in February annually and has more than 30 fun winter-themed events for all ages. Visit the sparkling Ice Chalet,Ice Skating Competition, The Ice Sculpture Exhibits with an interactive photo area and Artist created Snowflakes decorating the whole downtown. Be part of the fun with a Chili & Soup Cook Off, BG Parks & Rec Frostbite Run, Ice Skating, Snow Games and downtown retail open house Sparkle Night. So grab your winter gear and make sure to experience this one-of-a-kind winter event. Free.
- Art Walk, ☎ +1 419 354-4332. Annual Event held the last Saturday in April in Downtown Bowling Green, Ohio. Stroll through the historic downtown and visit the many galleries and exhibitions featuring Visual and Performing Arts from all ages. Artist's Demonstrations, family activities and performances continue throughout the day. Vote for your favorite in the People’s Choice Award and you might win a prize too!
- Heritage Days, 13660 County Home Rd (Wood County Historical Center & Museum), ☎ +1 419 352-0967. Annual Event held the second full weekend in June. Step back in time and get your hands on history with soap making, rope making, fresh butter churning, free blacksmith and farm demonstrations, farm-themed activities, farm animals, historic games, swap meet, kiddie pedal pull, Power of Yesteryear antique tractor show, BBQ and live music. All set amid the charm and nostalgia of our beautiful Historical Museum grounds.
- Classics on Main Car Show. This Annual Car Show is held the third Saturday in June and features live entertainment and activities all in Downtown Bowling Green. If you have ever loved a car, this is the place to be to share your enthusiasm. Classic curvy lines polished to perfection might get your engine roaring while the great food and atmosphere will have you returning year after year.
- Wood County Fair, 13800 W Poe Rd (Wood County Fairgrounds), ☎ +1 419 352-0441. Annual event held the last weekend in July until the end of the first week in August. 2013 includes: The Beach Boys concert, car show, demolition derby Tractor, Truck and Semi Pulls, Championship Horse and Pony Pulls, Dances, Cheerleading competition, live Music, food, games, rides, Industrial Arts, Woodworking and Carving demonstrations, Cookie Decorating, create Fairy Gardens, magician, BGSU Juggling Club, Balloon Artists, Pie and Cheesecake Auction, livestock, Flower show, Quilts, Needlework, Karaoke, 4H projects, Baked and Canned goods, Ice Cream, Wine Competition and a Parade of Floats. Make the most of your whole summer with this event.
- Ben Franklin Crafts Store, 154 S. Main St., toll-free: +1-800-439-7719. A local craft store that also offers toys, candy and party supplies among a variety of other things.
- Finder's Records, 128 N. Main, ☎ +1 419-352-7677. Monday-Thursday 9am to 8pm, Friday-Saturday 9am to 9pm, Sundays 11am to 5pm. Independent record store selling CDs, vinyl, and DVDs.
- Main Street Antiques, 244 S Main Street, ☎ +1 419 575-4157, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon - Sat: 11:00 am - 7:00 pm. Three large rooms filled with unique pieces and artifacts, offers hand selected interesting, remarkable, and unique items in a clean gallery style layout. It's like visiting a great museum where you can afford nearly everything you see and entrance is free.
Bowling Green's downtown area has a small town atmosphere with plenty of dining establishments to choose from, including sports bars (and other "bar" food), pizza, Italian, and family dining.
- Call of the Canyon, 109 N Main St, ☎ +1 419 353-2255. M-Th 11:30AM-8:30PM, F 11:30AM-9PM, Sa 11:30AM-3:30PM. A local delicatessen with a variety of sandwiches and a friendly atmosphere.
- The Cookie Jar, 130 E Court St, ☎ +1 419 354-8780. W-F 10AM-10PM, Sa-Su noon-10PM. Little bakery with a variety of cookie recipes, including a special cookie of the day. Pick up or free delivery (though tipping for delivery is customary). Order early, as the shop is popular and specialties run out quickly on weekends.
- Kermit's, 307 S Main St, ☎ +1 419 354-1388. M-F 6AM-7PM, Sa-Su 7AM-3PM. Local mom & pop place with good food and generous portions at reasonable prices.
- Naslada Bistro, 182 S Main St, ☎ +1 419 373-6050. M-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM.
- Grounds for Thought, 174 S Main St, ☎ +1 419 354-3266. 6AM-midnight daily. A relaxing, local coffee shop plus book store. Also has sandwiches and desserts.
Toledo is an easy 30 minute drive north of Bowling Green.
|Routes through Bowling Green|
|Toledo ← Perrysburg ←||N S||→ Findlay → Dayton|
|Gary ← Portage ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ Jct N S → Fremont → Sandusky|