Bochnia is one of the oldest towns in southern Poland, situated around 40 kilometres southeast of Kraków. The major attraction is the oldest functioning salt mine in Europe (since the middle of 13th century, although it's being closed now, except for the historic part still open for touristic reasons). Old town has still magic atmosphere.
Trains to and from Kraków leave every hour and cost around 10 zł (depending on the kind of train).
- Salt Mine (Kopalnia Soli), ul. Solna 2, ☎ +48 14 615 36 00. From 12th - 13th century, smaller than Wieliczka's one, but not less interesting and also a . Called sometimes underground town because of its size. Chambers measure 4,5 kilometres in length at 16 different levels. One of the chambers was converted into a sanatorium and you can spend a night there inhaling salt or something. There is also a restaurant supposedly located lowermost in the world. Like the Wieliczka salt mine, it's inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list. Ticket to the mine is around 30zł, for a night stay 60zł (night stay include additional attractions like a ride an underground train or 140 metre chute)..
- Bochnia Settlement - Archaeological Park (Osada Bochnia). Reconstruction of a wooden village from 13th century 10zł, children 8zł.
- St. Nicholas Basilica
- Old town
- Museum (Muzeum im. Stanisława Fischera), Rynek 20. 4zł, children 2zł; Sundays free.
- Wooden belfry. Part of 1500 km long Wooden Architecture Route in Małopolska. Rebuilt in 1991 after fire, closely resembling the original from the first part of 16th century.
- Butterfly Museum Arthropoda (Muzeum Motyli Arthropoda), ul. Tadeusza Czackiego 9, ☎ +48 502 494 622. Mo-Fr: 10.00 - 16.00; Sa-Su: 10.00-14.00. The largest permanent butterfly exhibition in Poland, over 4,500 specimens in four different sections. 9zł, children 7zł.
- Kiejdo Apiary (Pasieka U Kiejdów), ul. Chodenicka 78, ☎ +48 14 611 84 80. A place to try different kinds of honey, learn about its production and bees, see traditional beekeeping equipment.
- Swimming pool (Kryta Pływalnia), ul. Św. Leonarda 34, ☎ +48 14 611 31 19, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Regis Cinema (Kino Regis), ul. Regis 1.
There are few hotels in and around Bochnia.
- Bochnia lies half way between Kraków and Tarnów
- Wieliczka Salt Mine and Castle - parts of the same UNESCO World Heritage Site