Shopping: Black Mountain Iron Works, Cherry Street Gallery, Chocolate Gems, Merry Wine Market... too many cool little shops to mention them all.
Hiking: Montreat has several well-marked trails (note that many are fairly strenuous). Old US-70, barricaded for 3 miles just past Ridgecrest, is a hike or bike down a road closed for 50 years. It runs above the RR tracks, includes great views including some of the RR tunnels, and is just really interesting to see what Mother Nature has done to reclaim road, pavement, and concrete over half a century. Further in are trails in Pisgah National Forest.
Putt-putt at Phil's BBQ, just south of town on Route 9 (good BBQ too).
Jog or fish at Lake Tomohawk
- Lake Eden Arts Festival, Camp Rockmont, Black Mountain, NC, ☎ +1 828-686-8742, e-mail: email@example.com. Twice a year, each May & Oct this non-profit, family-oriented, multi-cultural music & arts festival brings the world to Western NC.
Lunch or dinner
- My Father's Pizza
- The Black Mountain Bistro
- The Veranda
- Ole's Guacamole's
- Las Casuelas
- Thai Basil
- The Cellar Door
- Que Sera
- Highland Oyster Bar and Grill
If you want to buy liquor by the bottle you must do it at state-run ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Commission) stores rather than at a traditional liquor store. Beer and wine are available for purchase at most markets, grocery stores and gas stations. The alcohol laws of North Carolina prohibit the sale of alcohol after 2AM Monday through Saturday, and from 2AM until noon on Sundays.
- Lake Eden Events & Lodging, Black Mountain, NC, ☎ +1 828 686-8742, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. The 60+ acres have a private lake and are surrounded by dramatic mountain views. Both lodgings sit next to streams running through the woods and come with many amenities. Each sleep 2-4. Pet friendly. $135 per night, $700 per week.
- Awesome View Lodge, in Black Mountain (a 20 minute drive to Asheville), ☎ +1 828 669-1072, e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10AM. 6 Bedrooms sleeping up to 15 high above the Swannanoa Valley. Less than 5 minutes to downtown Black Mountain. 2 large decks, floor to ceiling native rock fireplace, 2 dining areas, massive kitchen, high speed WIFI. Home is in a quiet neighborhood, adjacent to 500 acres of protected forest. $415-499 per night.
|Routes through Black Mountain|
|Knoxville ← Asheville ←||W E||→ Hickory → Winston-Salem|
|Knoxville ← Asheville ←||W E||→ Hickory → Lexington|