Birdsville is a remote town in outback Queensland, right on the outskirts of the Simpson Desert.
Despite its minute population of 326, Birdsville has its own airport. Scheduled flights are from:
- Skytrans (Windorah/Quilpie/Charleville/Brisbane, Bedourie/Boulia/Mount Isa)
- Qantas: QantasLink (Bedourie, Windorah)
Two wheel drive vehicle is usually okay along the Birsdville track. Check local road conditions, as roads can close to all or just 2 wheel drive vehicles.
- Birdsville Wirrarri Information Centre, ☎ +61 7 4656 3300, fax: +61 7 4656-3302, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 2 Nov-31 Mar M-F 08:30-16:30; 1 Apr-1 Nov M-Su 08:30-17:30. The centre offers visitors Wi-Fi, maps, souvenirs, library facilities, road conditions and weather reports throughout the Diamantina Shire and adjoining areas.
- Blue Poles Gallery, ☎ +61 7 4656-3221, e-mail: email@example.com.
- The annual Birdsville Races, held 5-6 Sep. During the races, the usually tiny population swells to several thousand. Easily the biggest thing to happen in Birdsville. More than just a race day.
- Birdsville Bakery, ☎ +61 7 4656-4697. The bakery includes a café themed on old world Australiana offering coffee, cakes, fresh pies and sausage rolls. The homemade pie range includes Curry Camel, Kangaroo and Claret, Chunky beef and Mince pies.
- Birdsville Hotel, ☎ +61 7 4656-3244, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Delicious counter meals can be ordered in the historic ‘Green Lizard Bar' at the Birdsville Hotel. Lunch is served daily 12:00-14:00 and evening meals 18:00-20:30.
- Birdsville Caravan Park - Billabong Cafe, ☎ +61 7 4656-3214, fax: +61 7 4656-3205, e-mail: email@example.com. 20:00. The Billabong Café and internet Café inside are open 08:00-18:00.
There is a single hotel, serving both canned and bottled beer.
- Birdsville Caravan Park, ☎ +61 7 4656-3214, fax: +61 7 4656-3205, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Birdsville Caravan Park has 9 fully serviced units with fridges and TV's plus 3 deluxe fully self contained cabins.
- Birdsville Hotel, e-mail: email@example.com. "Australia's most legendary Outback pub" Birdsville.
Bedourie, Betoota, Innamincka, Moomba, Jundah, Finke, Boulia