With a population of nearly 201,125 (Census of Nepal 2011) Biratnagar is the fourth largest city in Nepal, and it is located near the Terai on the south-eastern border with India.
A flight from Kathmandu (290 km) takes 40–45 minutes if there isn't any air traffic, and single tickets cost about $220 for foreigners and around 2860Rs for nationals on Domestic Airlines.
By bus it may take 10–13 hours of time for about NRs-700-900($9–14). There are two ways in travelling in bus one is in day and other in night. In comparison to day, night buses are safe to travel because at night there are no strikes or road blockades. While travelling by bus we can witness the beauty of various scenes that one misses by aeroplanes. Its good to take food of your own because the hotels on the way serve bad quality food. Only the crew members of bus gets proper food.
Rickshaws and/or walking are good options within the city. Expect to pay about 2 rupees per minute if using a rickshaw, depending on how many people you are or if you have a lot of cargo. There are no official taxi service, but taxis are easily available at airport, near Mahendra Chowk and from major hotels. There are tempoo's (auto rickshaws) around the city that are a cheaper means of transport than all other transportation option. Buses aren't used that frequently for transportation.
- Biratnagar Jute Mills. The oldest industrial endeavour in Nepal. It's almost nonfunctional now
An ATM machine is available on the main commercial avenue. There are number of ATMs in Biratnagar. Take Main street north from Traffic chowk (police station), there is one on right side, then five minutes further north you turn left and find one.Similarlly you can get lot more.
For groceries there is a supermarket near (ex-) Mahendra chowk.
- Unique Fast Food Restaurant on the main commercial avenue (not the one that comes from the airport) has a clean and funny interior, and decent food.
- Adarsh Jalpan Griha (Near traffic chowk in the center). Claims to be the oldest restaurant in Biratnagar and is a good option for eating.
- Aagan, Main road (straight from traffic chowk,(1/2 km)). One can get Chinese,north Indian,south Indian, Nepalese foods, specialty-offers different kind of sweets.
- Feel Good Bar and Grill, Airport Mode. Good place to hang out, with good music.
- Hotel Xenial, Biratnagar, 15, ☎ +977 21 530250, e-mail: email@example.com. - Not the same quality as you will find in Kathmandu for the same price, but comfortable. Between $55 and 130 for foreigners, or 2000R - 4500R for nationals. Accepts Visa. Dial-up internet access available in the room for 180R for 30 minutes. Small swimming pool.
- Ratna hotel. Near the main market area, next to Mahendra Chowk. A reasonable good business hotel. Good food and ok, although run-down, bar. Wireless internet available for a hefty price of 200Rs for 1 hour, or 500Rs for 24 hours, from the time you begin using the voucher. Rs 1500-4000.
- Eastern Star (south of bus park, take right further down). Basically same standard as Ratna, but further from the market area, and thus a more quiet location. They have recently got wifi. Rs 800, 1500(AC).