Bicaz is a town in Moldavia.
A relatively new mountain town located near Piatra Neamţ, Bicaz is a good base for trips to Bicaz canyon, into the Ceahlau massif or to the large Bicaz (Izvorul Muntelui) reservoir.
There are very frequent buses from Piatra Neamţ (a half hour trip), several buses from Gheorgheni (1 1/2 hours) via the Bicaz canyon, 4-5 buses from Iaşi (3 hours), two from Cluj (7 hours) and Târgu Mureş (5 hours), one from Bucharest (6 hours). Most of their schedules are available on autogari.ro
Bicaz is reached by two commuter trains from Piatra Neamţ (travel time around 45 minutes) and one direct train from Bucharest (a 7 hours trip). Timetables can be found on the railway operator CFR website .
The town is walkable.
- Muzeul de Istorie şi Etnografie (History and Etnography Museum), strada Barajului nr. 2, ☎ +40 233 671201. Tu-Su 9AM-5PM (October - March), 10AM-6PM (April - September).
- Boat trips on Bicaz lake
- Cheile Bicazului (Bicaz canyon) (20 km west of Bicaz on the route to Gheorgheni). A spectacular 8 km long canyon
- Lacul Roşu (Red Lake) (at the western end of Bicaz canyon). A large lake created by a landslide in 1837
- Ceahlău massif (just north west of town). One of the most impressive parts of the Eastern Carpathians
- Lacul Bicaz (Izvorul Muntelui) (Bicaz Lake) (north of town). The largest artificial lake in the country