Riederalp and Bettmeralp are located on a south-facing terrace above the upper Rhone valley. They are both summer and winter resorts. In addition the smaller winter resort of Fiescheralp (not permanently inhabited) lies close but higher at 2,200 metres.
North of Riederalp and Bettmeralp lie the 23 km long Aletsch Glacier, part of the Jungfrau-Aletsch UNESCO Heritage Site.
Riederalp can be reached only by cable car from Mörel. Bettmeralp is also reachable by cable car but from Betten Talstation. Mörel and Betten Talstation are located on the railway line between Brig (closest) and Andermatt. The cable cars usually operate from early in the morning until 9PM
The same for Fiescheralp from Fiesch but with more restricted timetable.
There is no direct connection between the two villages, however a 30 minutes walk is sufficient to reach the other. From Bettmeralp a cable car lead to the summit of the Bettmerhorn. The higher summit of the Eggishorn can be reached by cable car from Fiescheralp approx. 1 hours by feet from Bettmeralp. The village of Belalp enjoys the same situation but lies on the other side of Aletsch. An impressive bridge connects the two. It is a one day hiking. You can hire bikes from the cable car station in Betmmeralp. Most travelling is done by foot,however there are many cable cars within a short walking distance from the center of Bettmeralp to go up mountains like bettmerhorn and see the magnificent Aletsch Glacier.
- The Aletsch Glacier, longest in the Alps, or even in Europe (23 km)
- The Aletsch Forest, wild forest above the glacier
- The Villa Cassel, former residency of Winston Churchill, nowadays one of the Pro Natura centres. Host a permanent exhibition about the Jungfrau-Aletsch UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Bettmerhorn which is a mountain approxiamately 3000 metres high from where you can see the Aletsch glacier, access by cable car from Bettmeralp village.
- Golf, Riederalp
- Rent a boat on the Betmersee which is an approxiamatly. 20-25 minute walk from the cable car station at the beginning of Bettmeralp.
- Hikes there are many hikes available like the 2- 2 1/2 hour hike to Fiescheralp whereby you can take a cable car up a mountain which has views of the Aletsch Glacier.
- Walk to the former home of Winston Churchill about a 1-1 1/2 walk.
- There is a big sports centre which was recently renovated at the cost of CH 3.5 million it has a swimming pool, Jacuzzi,water slide,tennis courts,Badminton amongst a restaurant etc.
- There are many inflatables next to the sports centre free for kids to play on.
- Rent a bike or scooter from the cable car station at the begginning of Bettmeralp and hire a bike/scooter and have a thrilling ride down the mountain or to another village further along the mountain ,costs around cf10.
- The tourist information centres run kids programmes at certain times of the year.
There are a variety of stores in the village, there are 2 food shops the CO-OP which is a Swiss supermarket chain, and is very well stocked and another small supermarket.
There are many restaurants dotted along the main street with quality food on offer.
There are many bars along the main street of Bettmeralp and Reideralp frequented by both the locals and tourists.
The apartments and houses in the village are generally good value, though they are a lot more expensive in the winter than in the summer. They are usually very clean and up to the standard that one would expect.