Berwick-upon-Tweed is a historic walled town in Northumberland. It is the most northerly town in England,just 2 1/2 miles from the border with Scotland. Its strategic location means that it has changed hands following wars between England and Scotland a total of nine times.
Berwick is pronounced 'Berrick'.
Buses run from Newcastle. However, the majority of visitors will come from the A1 trunk road from England into Scotland. The old A1 ran into the town, but the modern road bypasses the town to the west.
Berwick is a beautiful town to walk around. There is no necessity to use the bus as most attractions are located within a small radius.
- The town is surrounded by historic walled ramparts, constructed during times of war between England and Scotland.
- Berwick Barracks and Main Guard, Parade, TD15 1DF, ☎ +44 1289 304493. They were built between 1717 and 1721 with a design attributed to Hawksmoor. adults £4.00, children £2.40, concessions £3.60.
- Etal Castle, Cornhill on Tweed, TD12 4TN (11 miles south west of Berwick), ☎ +44 1890 820332. adults £4.00, children £2.40, concessions £3.60.
- Norham Castle, Northumberland, TD15 2JY (6 miles west of Berwick). Free."
- Explore the castle walls. The walls are a great way to see the town with good views over both buildings and the harbour.
- Meadow House, North Road, ☎ +44 1289 304173. The most northerly pub in England. Excellent menu and service.
- The Magna Tandoori, 39 Bridge Street, Berwick-upon-Tweed, TD151ES, ☎ +44 1289 302736, e-mail: email@example.com. The restaurant is in the centre and stands out for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the menu is vast, there is a huge choice of different-style Indian dishes. Secondly, the restaurant is in a converted pub which still retains its original bar. £20 p.p. for poppodoms/main course/rice/naan/pint.
- Berwick Youth Hostel, Dewars Lane Granary, Dewars Lane, TD15 1HJ. 55 bed hostel in a 240 year old granary. Beds from £18.
- Haven Berwick Holiday Park (Haven Berwick Holiday Park), Magdalene Fields, Berwick Upon Tweed (Signposts are along the route from the A1 to the town center and then on to the Holiday Park), ☎ +44 871 231 0864. Check-in: 1400, check-out: 1000. Self catering holiday park located around 1 mile from the centre of the town and offering a range of different accommodation in caravans.
- Meadow Hill Guest House (Near the A1). Rooms and breakfast very good. Low side of middle price..
- The area depends upon tourism for a lot of its revenue and there are many second or holiday homes which are offered as self-catering accommodation .
- Travelodge, North Road, Berwick-upon-Tweed, TD15 1UQ, ☎ +44 371 984 6279. Check-in: 3pm, check-out: 12pm. Usual Travelodge experience. Positioned right next to a McDonalds and a Morrisons which gives other, easy food choices. 30 minutes' free Wi-Fi (in reality more). Easy to find, being about three seconds' drive from the A1167 turn off from the A1. 20 minutes' walk/on a main bus route/an easy drive/a short taxi ride from the centre. e.g. £36 for twin room, without breakfast, booked well in advance.