Bergen auf Rügen
Bergen is the largest town on Rugia Island (Rügen).
There are regional connections from Binz – Prora – Lietzow – Sassnitz – Sagard – Lietzow; Samtens – Stralsund – Velgast – Ribnitz-Damgarten – Rostock; Putbus – Lauterbach Mole
Following the road signs for the centre takes you round not particular attractive outskirts then somehow out the other side of town. Use your instincts and head up the hill to the centre.
- Marienkirche. 12th century with 14th extension, the triple-aisled basilica church is the oldest surviving brick building in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
- Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Turm. Tower on the Rugard, at 91 m above sea level (NN), is the highest elevation in the central region of Rügen.
- Forest climbing (Kletterwald Rügen), Rugardbühne, Rugardweg (Take the B96. Take the Vieschstraße from the town center and then Rugardweg.), ☎ +49 152 049 032 62. If you do not enjoy mountaineering, why not try climbing in the forest? Kletterwald Rügen has around 80 stations of various difficulty. €13 and upwards.
- Summer rodel (Inselrodelbahn Bergen auf Rügen am Rugard), Rugardweg 7 (Take the B96. Take the Vieschstrasse from the town center and then Rugardweg.), ☎ +49 3838 82 82 82. You do not need ice or snow to go rodeling. You can do it just as well during the summer on this over 700 m long track. €2 and upwards.
Real supermarket on the edge of town.
- Restaurant Kontor (Kaufmannshof), Bahnhofstr. 6-8, ☎ +49 3838 80450.
- Tüffelhus (Meyer's kaffehaus), Bahnhofstr. 72, ☎ +49 3838 22332.