The area was a major centre for iron ore mining and associated industries. Today the Rhine port contains one of the largest oil storage area on the river. The town of Sayn is just a small town with no particular attractions for visitors, however the area around and into the Westerwald above provides some beautiful landscape and historical sites to explore.
Bendorf is on the right (east) bank of the Rhine north of Koblenz and the A48 on the B42.
- Schloss Sayn (Sayn palace), Schlossstraße 100, ☎ +49 2622 90240. reconstructed neo-gothic residence with museum of ornamental cast iron and a restaurant. Nice place to stop for coffee and cake.
- Burg Sayn (Sayn castle), ☎ +49 2622 7266. Ruins of medieval castle
- Sayner Hütte (Sayn ironworks), Am Goldberg 29. Impressive 18th century industrial buildings
- Roman watchtower. Reconstruction on the Limes.
- Butterfly Garden (Garten der Schmetterlinge), Schlossstraße 100 (In the Schloßpark).
- Walk a section of the Rheinsteig
- Waldgaststätte Meisenhof, Meisenhofweg 55 (A few kilometres out of the town along narrow road from Wenigerbachtal), ☎ +49 2622 3101. Good food and friendly service. A welcome break for hikers.
- Berghotel Rheinblick, Remystraße 79, ☎ +49 2622 127127. Good quality privately run hotel with reasonably spacious rooms and good breakfast. Above the town in quite residential area providing an impressive view of the Rhine valley and the Eiffel beyond. Evening restaurant and home made cakes in the afternoon.
- hotel friends Mittelrhein, Im Wenigerbachtal 8, ☎ +49 2622 8840. Modern building on the edge of the town.