Bellows Falls is an incorporated village of 3,000 people in the town of Rockingham in southeastern Vermont. It has enjoyed a renaissance in two main areas since the turn of the millennium. The existing stock of Victorian era brick and wood frame has seen sustained restoration and an art community has taken up residence.
- Interstate 91. The major highway running north-south with 2 exits in the town. I-91 goes north all the way to Canada. To the south it goes through Greenfield, Springfield and Hartford, Connecticut, terminating in New Haven, Connecticut. Exit 5 from the south to route 5 North and into town, or Exit 6 from the north to route 5 South into town.
- Route 12. Runs from Keene north to North Walpole, NH which is just across the Connecticut River from town.
- Greyhound, terminal at the stationary store, on the square in the downtown.
- Amtrak, station on "the island", a short walk from downtown. It is served by the Vermonter, a daily train which goes south to New York and Washington, D.C. and north to St. Albans.
- Bradley International (IATA: BDL) in Windsor Locks, Connecticut is the closest at 1.5 hours distance,
- Manchester International (IATA: MHT) in Manchester, New Hampshire next closest at 2 hours, and
- Logan International (IATA: BOS) in Boston is after that at 2.5 hours, with connection via shared van service with to the door service via Thomas Transportation, 1-800-526-8143. You must make reservations in advance!
The village of Bellows Falls is small enough to get around easily by foot. It is connected to the surrounding towns by Connecticut River Transit - an excellent low cost bus service. Some buses are equipped with bicycle racks which can handle 2 or 3 at a time.
Travelling from Rockingham to Chester is a popular route for the experienced road bike crowd however the town of itself is a sprawling area that is challenging to get around except by private car.
- Green Mountain Railroad.
- Exner Building, Canal Street. Neat little shops run by local artists in residence.
- The Good Buy Shop. A second hand store north of the square with a variety of dandy bargains.
- Sam's. Outdoor outfitter and sporting goods.
North of the square:
- Miss Bellow Falls Diner. Americana diner experience.
- Jade Garden. Standard chinese fare good cheap lunch buffet.
North of town:
- Joy Wah. Standard chinese fare nice Sunday buffet.
South of the square:
- Athens Pizza. Nice Pizza Joint, large and popular.
South of town:
- Fathers Restaurant. Normal family restaurant fare, tasty and filling.
On Atkinson St/Route 5 in town:
- Famous Pizza. Intimate Pizza Joint, funky and charming.
- PK's. Intimate Irish Pub.
- Horsefeathers B&B.
|Routes through Bellows Falls|
|St. Albans ← Claremont ←||N S||→ Brattleboro → Springfield|
|Saint Johnsbury ← White River Junction ←||N S||→ Brattleboro → Springfield|
|White River Junction ← Windsor ←||N S||→ Brattleboro → Springfield|