Barry is a seaside resort town with sandy beaches at Whitmore Bay, Jackson Bay & the Old Harbour, and a (very long) pebble beach stretching from Knap Point past Porthkerry Park to Rhoose Point, the most Southern point in mainland Wales.
The main industry & employer in Barry is the Docks and several chemical companies, including DOW, Hexion, Zeon & Cabot Carbon.
By Air. Cardiff (Wales) International Airport. This is the only major airport in Wales and is situated some 5 miles to the west of Barry in the Vale of Glamorgan at Rhoose. The airport is served by a number of airlines which operates to domestic and foreign destinations. There are regular bus services to and from the town centre to the airport. You can also get to the airport using a rail service to Rhoose (Cardiff International Airport) railway station, then use a shuttle bus to the airport.
By Road. Barry has very good road links, the M4 is approximately 15 minutes away to junction 33 at Cardiff West via the A4232 to Culverhouse Cross, then the A4050 directly to Barry and the airport.
By Train. There is a regular train service to Cardiff Central station about 20 minutes journey with direct connections to the rest of the country and international connections. There is also the service which runs West to Bridgend, over the Porthkerry Park viaduct and Rhoose.
By Sea. Although Barry has a large dock system, there are no passenger services into the port apart from the odd visit in the summer by the coastal day cruise vessels Balmoral and the Paddle steamer Waverley. There is talk of a ferry service to Minehead, in the West of England, which is less than 15 miles by sea and possibly less than 1 hours travel, but 3 hours travel by car.
By Bus. Barry is not on the National Coach network route, but Cardiff is only a short bus or train journey away for national & international coach travel.
Visit Cowbridge, a small market town, 10 miles West of Barry.
Visit Penarth, a small coastal Victorian town, 5 miles East of Barry.
- Barry Castle (A ruin), Park Road. Free.
- Porthkerry Country Park. Country Park, with walks in woodland areas as well as being right on the beach. Stroll under the HUGE viaduct, have a round of pitch & putt golf, followed by an ice cream or cup of tea in the small cafe. Free entry.
- Barry Waterfront, Fford y Milleniwm. 24. A multi-million pound development. Currently housing based but with 'facilities planned' for entertainment and refreshments, currently no booths for refreshments only a national chain supermarket plus other chains.Overlooking docks. Free.
- Cosmeston Country Park, Cosmeston. Country Park & Lakes, with a medieval village, near Penarth. Free.
- St. Baruch's Church (A ruin), Friars Road, Barry Island.. 24. Free.
- Dyffryn Gardens, St Nicholas, Vale of Glamorgan, CF5 6SU (6 miles north of Barry), ☎ +44 2920 593328, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rhoose Flying School, Rhoose Road, Rhoose. Flights over the Vale by light aircraft or helicopter.
Visit High Street (at the West End of town) where you have a variety of outlets from high end clothing to charity shops, as well as gift shops, tea shops, bars & restaurants etc. etc.
Visit Cardiff for things to buy. Nearing completion is the St. Davids Centre 2, a retail shopping arcade (Mall); built at a cost of over £600 million.
- Streets Brasserie, 4 Broad Street, ☎ +44 1446 721440. Grill Bar. Eat in. ££.
- Casa Paco, 1 Broad Street, ☎ +44 1446 732009. Mediterranean. Eat in. ££.
- Shahi Noor Tandoori, 87 High Street, ☎ +44 1446 732338. Indian. Eat in or to go. ££.
- De Gennaro, 71 High Street, ☎ +44 1446 732557. Italian. Eat in or to go. ££.
- Giuliano's, 1 The Parade, ☎ +44 1446 733340. Italian. Eat in. ££.
- Hedley's, 3/4 Bron y Mor, ☎ +44 1446 733398. Mediterranean ££.
- Barry Dock Conservative Club, 17 Station Street. 'Workingmens' Social Club. £.
- Scarlets, Broad Street. 'Wine Bar'. £££.
- Blue Anchor, East Aberthaw, ☎ +44 1446 750329. Thatched country pub with real ales, serving bar meals with a restaurant attached. ££.
- The Old College Inn, Butrills Road, ☎ +44 1446 700580. Pub. ££.
- Colcot Arms, Colcot Road, ☎ +44 1446 700664. Pub. ££.
- Aberthaw House Hotel, 28 Porthkerry Road, ☎ +44 1446 737314. A small guest house with 'Whispers' restaurant attached. ££.
- Best Western Mount Sorrel Hotel, Porthkerry Road, ☎ +44 1446 740069. £££.
- Egerton Gray House Hotel, Porthkerry, ☎ +44 1446 711666. A luxury mansion set in land close to Porthkerry Park and the airport. Splurge.
- The Olives Court Guest House, 2 Port Road East, ☎ +44 1446 730891. ££.
- Cwm Ciddy (Toby Inn), Port Road, West. Motel with pub attached serving bar meals and carvery. ££.
Tourist Information Centre, The Promenade, Friars Road, Barry Island. 01446 747171 (Summer only).