Incorporated as a town in 1791, it was sacked by the British during the War of 1812, was known for its strong anti-slavery stance in the Underground Railroad and US Civil War era and was heavily damaged by a 1911 fire. It is the closest town to Fort Knox State Historic Site, built from 1844-1869. As the first US landfall for arriving jetliners from Europe, its international airport is a welcome sight to pilots who want to throw drunkard passengers off inbound commercial flights. Its cultural facilities, including the University of Maine, rival much larger cities. As the home of author Stephen King, it appears often in fictional works, but travellers can be assured that as the city is relatively safe and peaceful they will not be eaten by mutant zombies.
- Bangor International Airport, 287 Godfrey Boulevard (Exit 46 or 47 on Interstate 95), Phone: +1 207 947-0384. Bangor has year-round non-stop service on Delta to Detroit and New York-LaGuardia, US Air to Philadelphia and Washington-National, and Allegiant Air to Fort Lauderdale and Orlando-Sanford. Allegiant also has seasonal non-stop service to St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Florida.
- Concord Coach Lines, 1039 Union St (depot) (across from airport), ☎ +1 207 945-4000. Express or local routes from Boston through Portland.
- Greyhound Lines, Dysart's Travel Stop @ 530 Coldbrook Road, Hermon, ☎ +1 207 945-3000. Connections from Boston and Portland.
- Cyr Bus Lines, 153 Gilman Falls Ave (office/depot), Old Town; (bus stops) Dysart's Travel Stop @ 530 Coldbrook Rd and Concord depot @ 1039 Union St, ☎ +1 207 827-2010, toll-free: +1-800-244-2335. Service from Caribou Fosters in northern Maine.
Downtown Bangor and the waterfront is easily explored by foot; the nearby Pickering Square parking garage offers the first two hours for free. Traveling to sites outside of downtown will require a car.
- Penobscot Theatre Company, 131 Main St, ☎ +1 207 942-3333.
- Bangor Symphony Orchestra, ☎ +1 207 942-5555.
- Ten Bucks Theatre company, ☎ +1 207 884-1030. Seasonal live theater at Eddington-Clifton Civic Center (Comins Hall)) at 1387 Main Road, Eddington, (10 miles from Brewer on Rt. 9). Summer performances of Shakespeare outdoors in Indian Trail Park and at Fort Knox in Prospect. $10.
- Thomas Hill Standpipe, ☎ +1 207 947-4516. 110-ft (34 m) tall water tower that gives the Queen City its "crown," open seasonally for tours. From the observation deck you can see to Mt. Katahdin on a clear day; enjoy the famous Maine foliage in the autumn. This requires climbing 100 steps, and is not handicapped accessible.
- River City Cinema Society, Pickering Square. Free screenings of classic movies in summer, bring a lawn chair.
- Maine Discovery Museum, 74 Main St, ☎ +1 207 262-7200. Three-story Bangor Children's Museum, ideal for preschoolers but stimulating and entertaining for kids of all ages.
Festivals and events
- American Folk Festival. late August.
- Kenduskeag Stream Canoe Race. April
- Senior League World Series. Early August
- Kahbang Music & Art Festival. August
- Cool Sounds Music Series, Pickering Square. mid-June to August.
- Bangor Band. Free Tuesday night concerts around Bangor through the summer, as well as other performances throughout the year.
- Epic Sports, 6 Central St, ☎ +1 207 941-5670. 10-6 daily, 10-5 Sun. Family-owned adventure outfitter; apparel and gear for hikers, paddlers, runners, sport and outdoor activity.
- Mexicali Blues, 1 W Market Square, ☎ +1 207 990-4113. Hippie clothing, women's bohemian fashions, tie dye clothing, hand-crafted jewellery, cool toys and kitchen wares.
- Friars Bakehouse, 21 Central St, ☎ +1 207 947-3770. Franciscan friars prepare fresh bread and other lunch offerings. It's small, you might have to share a table.
- Bagel Central, 33 Central St, ☎ +1 207 947-1654. Kosher restaurant, bagels, sandwiches, soups and baked goods. Bright dining area with tall ceilings and full length windows.
- Taste of India, 68 Main St, ☎ +1 207 945-6865. Indian food, lunch specials, buffet Wed.-Fri. Good Indian beer and (domestic?) wine selection, Beside Maine Discovery Museum. $7 (lunch special), $10-12 (evening).
- Dysart's Restaurant, 530 Coldbrook Road, Hermon, ☎ +1 207 942-4878. Open 24/7. Truck stop with repair garage, reasonably-priced family food, travel store, event facilities for 10-200+, deli and bakery, Greyhound bus stop.
Unless you want to stay downtown, the "better cheap hotels" are concentrated in the "Odlin Road" area, which is near I-95 and the airport.
- Best Western White House Inn, 155 Littlefield Ave, ☎ +1 207 862-3737, toll-free: +1-800-780-7234, fax: +1 207 862-3737. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Continental breakfast, restaurant adjacent. Outdoor pool, seasonal walking path, exercise room, business center, lounge, guest laundry. Some theme rooms available with fireplace and Jacuzzi tub.
- Charles Inn, 20 Broad St, ☎ +1 207 992-2820, fax: +1 207-992-2826, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Art gallery hotel. Morning meal included, wi-fi in lobbies and café.
- Courtyard by Marriott, 236 Sylvan Rd (I-95 exit 187 (Hogan Rd), then immediate right onto Sylvan Rd.), ☎ +1 207 262-0070, fax: +1 207 262-0090. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. Bistro on-site for breakfast and dinner. Wired and wireless Internet. $120-150.
- Fairfield Inn Bangor, 300 Odlin Rd, ☎ +1 207 990-0001, fax: +1 207 990-0917. Wi-fi, refrigerator, breakfast included, near airport. $100-130.
- Fireside Inns & Suites, 570 Main St (I-395 and Main Street), ☎ +1 207 942-1234, fax: +1 207 942-1234. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Beside casino, pet-friendly and fireplace rooms available. Wi-fi, lobby computer, 24 hour coffee bar. Geaghan's Restaurant & Pub +1 207 945-3730.
- Four Points by Sheraton Bangor Airport, 308 Godfrey Blvd, ☎ +1 207 947-6721. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. Connected directly to the Bangor Int'l Airport via an enclosed skywalk. Wi-fi, Godfrey's Lounge on-site.
- Holiday Inn, 404 Odlin Rd, ☎ +1 207 947-0101. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: noon. 208 non-smoking rooms with microwave and refrigerator. Lounge and restaurant on site, Full-Fitness Gold's Gym on property. Hot tub. Internet terminal in foyer near entrance. Breakfast not included. $100.
- Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway, 500 Main St, toll-free: +1-877-779-7771. Wi-fi, airport shuttle, fitness centre, restaurants, bar and lounge.
- Howard Johnson's, 336 Odlin Rd, ☎ +1 207 942-5251, fax: +1 207 942-4227. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Restaurant open 6AM-midnight. Outdoor pool, wi-fi in public areas, microwaves, refrigerators, extra charge for pets. Hotel is showing its age, but visitors sometimes check out the restaurant for nostalgia's sake; while it no longer has the original orange roof, it is one of the last two in the former Howard Johnson restaurant chain. $70 and up.
- Motel 6, 1100 Hammond St, ☎ +1 207 947-6921, fax: +1 207 941-8543. Wi-fi, coin laundry, two-story pet-friendly motel with exterior corridors.
- Ramada Bangor, 357 Odlin Rd, toll-free: +1-866-523-3959. Barnaby's Grill, wifi, business and fitness centres, indoor pool. 118 rooms, five meeting/banquet rooms with A/V facilities. Breakfast and newspaper included with room.
|Routes through Bangor|
|Houlton ← Orono ←||N S||→ Fairfield → Augusta|
|St. Johnsbury ← Skowhegan ←||W E||→ Orono → Houlton|
|Augusta ← China ←||W E||→ END|
|Jackman ← Monson ← Jct S ←||N S||→ Bucksport → Stonington|