Ban Krut (บ้านกรูด) is a beach village on the Northern Gulf Coast of Thailand, about 160km south of Hua Hin. A beach road runs parallel to a 12km long, beautiful beach shaded by coconut and casuarina trees. Originally, there were plenty of bergamot oranges, similar to Thai kaffir limes (má~grùut มะกรูด) which influenced the name. The atmosphere in this area is still serene. A fishing community is strung along the beach. It is a place where tourists can glimpse the lifestyle of small-scale commercial fishers.
- By car: Take Hwy 4 (Phetkasem Rd) south. At km382, turn to the Front Rd. for about 400m, then turn left (east) to the Ban Krut Rd for approximately 9km and cross the railway track to Ban Krut Beach Rd.
- By train: Get off at the Ban Krut Railway Station and continue with a motorcycle taxi.
- By bus: Take the Bangkok – Bang Saphan Noi Bus and get off at the entrance to Ban Krut and continue with a motorcycle taxi or songthaew.
- Wat Thang Sai. With its beautiful view over the north side beaches and the golden Buddha.
- Rent a motorbike and discover empty beaches north of Ban Krut.
- Enjoy fresh seafood.
- Some small shops are around the 7-Eleven store and near the railway station. Suwan Pharmacy is also close to the railway station.
- Local food market opposite Wat Thong Chai Thammachak. Ask locals what day the market runs.
There are a couple of restaurants at the beach. One of the best is Platoo Fish Restaurant, all fresh from the sea and of course Thai spicy. Don't expect European food.
No nightlife to speak of.
- Ban Rim Haad Resort (On the main beach from Ban Krut. From the railway station heading to the beach, turn left at beach front road, pass Salathai Resort to find it), ☎ +66 81 8075691. Check-out: 12:00. Very friendly Thai family resort with clean air-con bungalows in a beautiful coconut garden. Restaurant makes good Thai food which also can be served directly at the beach across the road. From Thursday Thai tourists come for the weekend and sing karaoke, which can be heard, but it is not disturbing. 500-2,500 baht.
- Rachavadee Resort, 98/1 Moo 7 (Turn left at km382 and follow the road to Bang Krut. On the beach boulevard, turn right and left after a kilometre to follow the shore. Find the resort after 2-3km), ☎ +66 87 0265515. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. 1,600 baht.
Besides: There are about 20+ resorts and some guest houses to select from.
|Routes through Ban Krut|
|Bangkok ← Prachuap Khiri Khan ←||N S||→ Chumphon → Butterworth|
|Bangkok ← Prachuap Khiri Khan ←||N S||→ Chumphon → Sadao|