Trains run several times per day to and from Melbourne's Southern Cross and Flinders St Station, via Sale and Tarragon. The trip takes approximately three and a half hours and costs around $26 each way.
Bairnsdale is situated on the Princes Hwy (A1) approximately 3.5 hours east of Melbourne. If you are following the coastal route between Melbourne and Sydney you will pass through the town. If you are heading to Bairnsdale and Gippsland from Sydney, the route through Canberra, the Monaro through to Cann River will save you time over the coastal route. A scenic (but much slower) diversion is through Delegate.
- Mitchell River and Botanic Gardens. This riverside park can be accessed just from the east of the Mitchell River bridge. There is a suspension footbridge, playground and a riverside walk.
- East Gippsland Railtrail starts from Bairnsdale and travels through Nicholson, Bruthen and Nowa Nowa to Orbost.
- Kayak Hire at Butter Factory Wharf on the Mitchell River.
- Bairnsdale Speedway
Bairsdale has a good selection of restaurants and food places.
- Oz Mex Mexican Restaurant, 79 Nicholson St, Bairnsdale, ☎ +61 3 5152 4549. A bit high priced, but decent food and fish bowls of margaritas
- David Lucke's Fresh food Market, locally owned and operated food store. Low price and high quality fresh fruit, meat, vegetables and seafood. Specialty, boutique brand food and gourmet products, located on the Paynesville rd on the banks of the Mitchell River.
- Cafe Main - Vietnamese Pho Shop Princess Highway West Bairnsdale.
- Georges Burgers, 229 Main Street. Bairnsdale, top quality burgers and Souvlaki, 51 52 2613.
|Routes through Bairnsdale|
|Eden ← Orbost ←||N S||→ Sale → Melbourne|