Bagenalstown (also known as Muine Bheag) is a town on the western fringe of County Carlow. Built in the 1700s on the River Barrow by Lord Walter Bagenal, the town was originally based on Versailles in France. Today, with a population of 3,000 people, it offers a growing number of services and facilities, boosted by the easy access from its location just off the main Dublin - Waterford road and rail routes.
Bagenalstown is served by the Dublin - Waterford rail route. It is about 90 minutes from these cities and 15 minutes from Carlow town. Iarnrod Eireann (Ireland's rail operator) use "Muine Bheag" as the station name.
- Bagenalstown Courthouse. Dates from the era of Lord Walter Bagenal, and is modelled on the Parthenon in Athens.
- Bagenalstown Floral Festival. Takes place each August.
- Bagenalstown Swimming Pool. This is an outdoor pool, located just outside town on the Leighlinbridge Road.
- Go angling. There are several spots along the River Barrow which are frequently used for angling and fishing.
- Kiddies Kingdom, ☎ +353 59 972-3532. Large indoor playground for children.
- Public Tennis Courts.
- Pitch And Putt Course.
- Soccer and Gaa Pitch.
- Fairgreen Playground.
- Carrigbeg Horse Riding.
- Glitz n Glam.
- Joans Boutiqe.
- Anne Phelans Chemist.
- Carlos Shoe Heaven.
- Golden Inn Chinese, Main St.
- Doyles Railway House Bar, Kilree St, Bagenalstown.
- Roosters Chippers.
- Marios Tandoori, Market Square, ☎ +353 59 972-3560. Indian restaurant.
- The Red Lion, Regent St.
- Doyles Railway House, Stationhouse Rd.
- Lorum Old Rectory, Kilgreaney, ☎ +353 59 977-5282, fax: +353 59 9775455, e-mail: email@example.com. Histotic house located 6km outside Bagenalstown.
- Kilgraney House, ☎ +353 59 977-5283, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Georgian house surrounded by five acres of wooded herb gardens. Offers spa treatment, with rates from €65.
- Orchard Grove, ☎ +353 59 972-2140, e-mail: email@example.com. Wells. 2km outside Bagenalstown with panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. From €35.
- Knockrigg House, ☎ +353 59 972-2555, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Wells, Royal Oak. Located on the Kilkenny Road, this modern house is a five minute walk from the River Barrow with an extensive breakfast menu, and rates from €30.
- Bagenalstown Internet Café, ☎ +353 59 912-3593.