Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler is a combined-town in Rhineland-Palatinate. As the name suggests, it is made up of two towns: the spa town of Bad Neuenahr, and the picturesque old town of Ahrweiler. Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler is one of the largest towns in the red-wine producing Ahr Valley.
The town is accessible by a local stopping service (Regional Bahn) which runs along the Ahr Valley, connecting it with Bonn and Remagen. There are three stations, depending on which bit you want to visit: Bad Neuenahr in Bad Neuenahr, and Ahrweiler & Ahrweiler-Markt in Ahrweiler.
Exits 30 and 31 of the A61.
The towns are small enough to see on foot, and it's a pleasant 40-minute walk along the river from the centre of one to the other. Alternatively, a bike path runs along the river or there are buses.
- Beethoven House (Beethovenhaus), Mittelstraße 4. where Beethoven used to stay for summer holidays.
- Apollinaris spring (Apollinarisbrunnen).
- Walk in the hills among the vineyards; try a section of the Red Wine Walking Route (Rotweinwanderweg).
- Relax in the heated pools of the thermal baths
- Explore Ahrweiler's medieval streets
- Zwiebelkuchen ("onion cake") is a speciality of wine-growing areas and is the perfect accompaniment to Federweißer (see below)
- Weingut Försterhof, Im Teufenbach 65, ☎ +49 2641 2079315. Novel architecture
- Brogsitter's Sanct Peter, Walporzheimer Str. 134, ☎ +49 2641 97750.
The whole Ahr valley is famous for its shale vineyards, typically producing Pinot Noir (Spätburgunder, red) and Riesling (white) wines. Local varieties are available anywhere where drinks are served.
- Federweißer is a very sweet white wine made from the first grapes of the harvest. Federroter is the red equivalent.
- campsite, Kalvarienbergstrasse 1 (near the old town of Ahrweiler on the opposite side of the Ahr river from the town's southern gate), ☎ +49 2641-26539.
- Hotel Villa Aurora, Georg-Kreuzberg-Straße 8, ☎ +49 2641 9430.
- Dorint Parkhotel, Hardtstraße 1, ☎ +49 2641 8950.