Ayr's closest airport is Glasgow Prestwick International, which is approximately 4 miles from the centre of Ayr and is accessible by a regular train service.
This airport may also be an attraction in itself as this is the only place in Britain Elvis Presley ever landed. George Bush also landed here for the G8 summit.
Ayr has a bus depot with buses going to villages & towns all over Ayrshire, there is also an X77 bus which goes to Glasgow on a regular basis.
Situated in Burns Statue Sq. is the train station which carries passengers to several towns and also Glasgow Central Station.
Throughout Ayr High St. there also are maps of the main streets in the town.
Ayr has many beautiful locations. It is situated on the coast and on clear days you'll have amazing views of the Isle of Arran and the Ailsa Craig. Also on a clear day, a view of the whole of Ayr and the surrounding countryside can be seen from the Heads of Ayr, south of Ayr.
You'll also find several ruins of castles and forts, and much of the large wall that Oliver Cromwell built around the town still survives today.
- Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group, Waterside Panta, KA6 7JF (12 miles south-east of Ayr), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Scottish Grand National is held in Ayr annually.
Go to Alloway (twenty minutes walk from Ayr city centre) and see the house Robert Burns was born in. . This is now a museum and Burns library. Close by to this is also a new multi-media Burns centre, and the ruined Church where Burns' famous poem 'Tam O'Shanter' is set.
There are a range of venues throughout Ayr which provide entertainment for all ages. There is a bowling alley, The Citadel - a leisure centre which has a variety of sports and also a swimming pool. There is also a Bannatynes fitness and leisure centre which is situated at the Whitletts roundabout. In Burns Statue Sq. there is an Odeon Cinema showing all the latest films, next door there is also a Blockbuster Video Rental store if you fancy a night in.
On most Saturdays Ayr hosts both a rugby and football team with a dedicated following. The football team, Ayr United, can be found at Somerset Park. The rugby team at Millbrae, Alloway.
Ayr currently has two shopping centres, The Kyle Centre and Ayr Central. Along with these Ayr has a high street with many shops.
Ayr has a variety of restaurants including fast food, Indian, Chinese and traditional food outlets. Ayr is well known for its hospitality in this field.
There are several night clubs in Ayr. Arguably the largest of which is Club de Mar. Another, Madisons, is popular with the 18-30 crowd. There is also a Fury Murrys in Ayr which caters to the more rock/metal side of the musical spectrum. All are located in Ayr town centre.
Ayr has many bars, the most mainstream of which located in the vicinity of the Bus Station.
There are many B&B's situated in and around Ayr.
- Western House Hotel, 2 -6 Whitletts Road, ☎ +44 1292 294990, fax: +44 1292 294980, e-mail: email@example.com. Located in the Ayr Racecourse. Approx. £110.
- Travelodge, Highfield Drive (Whitletts roundabout), ☎ +44 871 984 6321, fax: +44 1292 880357.
- Mercure Ayr Hotel, Dalblair Road, Ayr, ☎ +44 1292 269331. Located in the town centre with sea views, includes sauna, fitness centre & indoor heated pool.
- Swallow Station Hotel, ☎ +44 1292 263268, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Located in Ayr town centre.
- Express by Holiday Inn Ayr, Wheatpark Place, Ayr, ☎ +44 1292 272300, e-mail: email@example.com. Modern, purpose built hotel with 84 rooms all en-suite and offering twin and double rooms with pull down sofa beds. Rates include high quality continental breakfast. 5 mintes from Prestwick International Airport, Prestwick and Ayr.
- Enterkine House Hotel, by Annbank. Ayrshire (5 miles off A77, follow B742 to Mossblown then Annbank), ☎ +44 1292 520580. Check-in: 2.00pm, check-out: 11am. four star country house hotel situated in 350 acres of woodland estate yet only 10 mins from Prestwick ,Ayr and Troon. Award winning food by Paul Moffat and team from £100.