Hyde Park is a district in Austin, Texas about a mile north of the University of Texas. It is known in Austin for being the earliest significant residential development outside the old nineteenth-century downtown city core, for containing some interesting old houses, and for being a bastion of political liberalism. There are few tourist attractions as such, other than the small Elisabet Ney museum. The largest building is Hyde Park Baptist, a kind of mega-church which draws in many parishioners from outside the neighborhood every Sunday.
- Hyde Park Theater. Ken Webster is artistic director. If you like Mamet, he's your man's man. FronteraFest is here too.
- FronteraFest. January–February. Austin's whirlwind festival. More theater than you can shake a stick at. Theater in theaters. Theater in people's houses. Theater everywhere.
- Asti Trattoria, 408 E 43rd St., ☎ +1 512 451-1218. Lunch: Monday-Friday 11AM-5PM. Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5PM-10PM, Friday-Saturday 5PM-11PM. Closed Sunday. Authentic yet modern Italian cuisine emphasizing local and seasonal foods with an extremely cozy atmosphere.
- Daily Juice, 4500 Duval St., ☎ +1 512 380-9046. Monday-Friday 7AM-9PM, Saturday-Sunday 8AM-9PM. Juice bar serving fresh organic juices, smoothies, super foods, cleanses, living foods, and more. Quality and service are top notch and the surroundings are perfectly Austin-y. There are other locations on Barton Springs, near Zilker Park and also just off Lake Austin Boulevard, near the Town Lake Hike and Bike trail. Enjoy. $.
- Dolce Vita Gelato & Espresso, 4222 Duval St., ☎ +1 512 323-2686. Monday-Friday 6:30AM-12AM, Saturday-Sunday 8AM-12AM. European atmosphere at a classy dessert cafe with ample outdoor seating.
- Hyde Park Bar & Grill, 4206 Duval St. (at 44th - look for the giant fork with a basket of fries on top), ☎ +1 512 458-3168. Daily 11AM-Midnight. Known for their buttermilk fries and homestyle cooking. Has a pretty decent beer selection as well. Dinners $11-18.
- Kerbey Lane Cafe, 3704 Kerbey Ln, ☎ +1 512 451-1436. 24 hours.
- Mother's Cafe & Garden, 4215 Duval St., ☎ +1 512 451-3994. Monday-Friday 11:15AM-10PM, Saturday-Sunday 10AM-10PM (brunch: 10AM-3PM). Winner of several recent Austin Chronicle food awards, including Best Veggie Burger. Excellent vegetarian and vegan fare in a relaxing, pleasant atmosphere. Mothers burned down in 2007 but has been completely rebuilt and is as good as ever with some of the best vegetarian food you can find in Austin, appealing to many omnivores as well as vegetarians.
- New World Deli, 4101 Guadalupe St. (across the street from the State Hospital), ☎ +1 512 451-7170. Monday-Thursday 9AM-9PM, Friday-Saturday 9AM-10PM, Sunday 9AM-6PM. Large New York deli style sandwiches. Many people recommend the sloppy joe.
- The Parlor, 4031 Guadalupe St. (across the street from Hyde Park theater), ☎ +1 512 323-0440. Monday-Friday 11AM-12AM, Saturday 12PM-1AM, Sunday 12PM-11PM. Join a diverse group of locals for a slice of pizza on the outdoor patio.
- Quack's 43rd Street Bakery, 411 E 43rd St., ☎ +1 512 453-3399. Monday-Friday 6:30AM-12AM, Saturday 7AM-12AM, Sunday 7:30AM-12AM. A very popular place to sit and drink coffee, although many people claim the staff could use some lessons on their manners.