Ascona was able to maintain its charm as a colony of artists and drop-out even as the touristy Locarno developed into a big tourist destination. Strict limitations for cars ensure that the main center of the town is car free. Its tranquil people make this town a calming and refreshing visit. The old buildings have been beautifully kept restored. Ascona is popular for day trips and boat tours to the Isolas Brissago. The Lago Maggiore cools the town in summer and ensures a Mediterranean feeling in winter.
Several bus lines connect Ascona to Locarno which are run by the public transport system FART. There is no train station and the streets to Locarno are quite busy. It's possible to rent a bike in Locarno and ride over to Ascona but bus and car are the easiest was to get into the town.
The town is best discovered on foot as small lanes are in general pedestrian only
- Lake promenade
- Bagno pubblico
- House Serodine, Town Hall Square. Facade on three floors (1620) in Baroque style with stucco decorations Serodine of John the Baptist (1587-1626).
- Brissago Islands (Brissago Islands), ☎ +41 91 791 43 61, fax: +41 91 791 07 63, e-mail: email@example.com. Season 2013: 20 March – 28 October. The Brissago Islands, the Botanic garden of Canton Ticino, give you the wonderful opportunity to escape from the noise and confusion of frenetic modern life. Adults CHF 8, Children (6-16) CHF 2.50.
- Ascona Locarno and the Magic Valley. 3-4 hours. Regional bicycle path n. 31: Tenero – Locarno – Losone – Avegno – Gordevio – Maggia.
- JazzAscona, 3, Luini St (Tourist Office Lake Maggiore, Locarno), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. latest 20th - 29th of June 2014. Jazz Ascona is one of the major world events dedicated to the classic jazz and New Orleans' Beat.
- Musical weeks of Ascona, Tourist Office Lake Maggiore (Locarno), ☎ +41 848 091 091, fax: +41 91 759 76 94, e-mail: email@example.com. Since the founding of the Settimane Musicali of Ascona in 1946 the event represents a recurring and very much appreciated date on the annual events calendar and therefore has become an integral part of the traditions and the music entertainment panorama of the Lake Maggiore region especially and the Canton of Ticino in general.
- Street Artists' Festival, 3, Madonna della Fontana St, fax: +41 91 791 21 02, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Magic Bar
- Hotel La Perla, Ascona, Via Collina 14, ☎ +41 91 791 35 77, e-mail: email@example.com. from CHF 99.-.
- Ville La Perla, Ascona, Via Collina 14, ☎ +41 91 791 35 77, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. from CHF 79.-.
- Villa Veratum, Ascona, Viale Monte Verità 16, ☎ +41 91 791 35 77, e-mail: email@example.com. from CHF 59.-.
- Locarno is the next city and offers all modes of transportation.