Arnhem is one of the larger cities in the east of the Netherlands, situated on the banks of the river Rhine. It is the capital of the province of Gelderland, and forms the northern part of the Stadsregio Arnhem Nijmegen.
Tourist Information can be found near Arnhem's main train station. It's across the street from the station, and to the right of Hotel Haarhuis. the address is Stationsplein 13. For more information see VVV Arnhem Nijmegen.
Arnhem is connected with multiple highways.
A325 : The highway between Arnhem and Nijmegen
National : The Arnhem railway station was opened on 14 May 1845. The station is the main station of Arnhem, and at present, has around 40,000 passengers that use the station per day, this makes it the 9th busiest station in the Netherlands. Beside the mainstation there are some sub stations: Arnhem Velperpoort, Arnhem Presikhaaf and Arnhem Zuid. For more information visit the website from the Dutch railways (NS) .
Arnhem is on the main Inter City Express (ICE) line from Frankfurt, Germany to Amsterdam. It will stop at Amsterdam - Utrecht - Arnhem - Cologne - Frankfurt. More information can be found on the NS Hispeed Website.
Arnhem is located near several airports:
Amsterdam-Schiphol airport (IATA: AMS), The largest airport in the Netherlands, and the fifth largest in Europe. 110 km to the northwest. Train takes about 75 min, and will cost €16,00 one way. Schiphol airport gets served by most major carriers, and has an excess of 100 flights per day to the United States alone.
By car: Take the A12 to Utrecht, Then heading to Amsterdam via A2 and then A9 to Schiphol Airport. Expect this to take anywhere from 60–75 minutes in regular traffic.
Airport Weeze (IATA: NRN), located 80 km southeast of Arnhem just across the border with Germany, near the village of Weeze (Germany). Although both Ryanair (the biggest airline serving the airport) and the airport itself advertise with the name Düsseldorf-Weeze, The Airport is not actually located near Düsseldorf. The city of Düsseldorf is located 80 km to the southeast of the airport. Weeze serves over 50 destinations across Europe, Northern Africa and Western Asia.
The only form of public transportation to Arnhem is a taxivan costting €16 euro one-way, and you will have to make a reservation beforehand. For timetabling see taxivan's website. Journey time will be about 70 minutes. Pick-up and drop-off in Arnhem will be at the Gelredome Stadium / McDonalds. Quick tip: If your plane lands shortly before the bus is scheduled to leave give them a quick call on the tarmac and they will wait for you.
Eindhoven Airport (IATA: EIN), located 85 kilometres to the southwest of Arnhem. From the airport you take bus 401 to Eindhoven Central Station and then a train to 's Hertogenbosch (which is the same as Den Bosch). In 's Hertogenbosch, change trains and take the train to Arnhem. This journey will take you approximately 100 minutes by public transportation.
When driving yourself, take the A50, (Zwolle-Eindhoven) which skirts the west of the metropolitan area to the Eindhoven ring road (A58/A2) Airport exit is exit 29 on the A2.
Flughafen Düsseldorf (IATA: DUS), about one-third the size of Amsterdam-Schiphol, but with plenty of international connections, including to the USA, and gets served by all the major airlines in Europe. Although it doesn't get nearly as many flights as Amsterdam does, it's cheaper, doesn't have nearly as many congestion problems, and generally much less hassle at the airport itself.
From Arnhem's main train station you can take the ICE train to Düsseldorf Hbf, where you can take S1 to Flughafen terminal. The train to Düsseldorf Hbf will take around 70 minutes.
For information on the adjacent German section, see Rhine Rad Weg.
Arnhem is the only city in the Netherlands that uses trolleybuses as a means for public transportation. The bus station is located next to the train station in the city centre. There is a fast and frequent trolleybus network. From here you also can take a local bus or buses to cities as Apeldoorn (bus 91 and 231) and Nijmegen (331 stops only on the main stopping places, also 33 but he takes a longer route). Timetables and prices can be found here.
There is a bike rental at the Stationsplein (Station square) next to the exit of the Station. (Tel. +31 26 4421782) The rate per day is €5.20, per week (5 days or longer) it's €21.
At the bike rental a deposit of €25 per bicycle is required. Payment by credit card is accepted. It is possible to take out a bicycle insurance. The premium amounts to 50c a day per bike. The deposit amount is doubled when a bicycle insurance is not taken out.
There are several taxi services in Arnhem. The most common service is Taxi Arnhem, they can be reached 24/7 at (+31) 026 260 26 26. You can also arrange for the taxi to pick you up from Schiphol Airport or Eindhoven Airport.
There are multiple car rentals in Arnhem:
- Europcar, located at Boulevard Heuvelink 5. They can be reached at (+31) 026-445 3701
- Hertz, located at Bergstraat 2. They can be reached at (+31) 026-351 3222
- KAV, located at Stieltjesweg 17. They can be reached at (+31) 026-351 5819
- Airborne Museum (Take bus line 52 from the main railway station in the direction Oosterbeek until stop Hartensteyn). A museum dedicated to the Battle of Arnhem, fought in September 1944. During the battle the building was the headquarters of the British forces fighting in and around Oosterbeek and Arnhem. The Museum shows a diverse and extensive collection of original weapons, uniforms and equipment alongside interviews, pictures and videos about the battle. In addition to this collection, the museum has an award-winning Airborne Experience exhibition, that depicts the area as it appeared during the battle. The museum also describes the German and civilian perspectives of the battle. Near the museum, there is also the Airborne War Cemetery. It was established in 1945 and is home to 1759 graves from the Second World War. Soldiers of several nationalities are buried here, including British, Polish, Canadian, Dutch, Australian and New Zealanders. Adults €8,50, teens aged 13–18 €5,50, children aged 6–12 €4.
- Burgers Zoo, Antoon van Hooffplein 1 (Take trolleybus 3 from the main railway station), ☎ +31 26 442-4534. 1 March-31 October 09:00-19:00 daily, 1 November-29 February 09:00-17:00 daily. A large zoo showcasing animals in their original habitats. The zoo is divided into several different areas, including Desert, Ocean, Mangrove and Safari. €19.
- Museum voor Moderne Kunst, Utrechtseweg 87, ☎ +31 26 442-3164. Tu-Su 11:00-17:00. A small modern art gallery specialised in Dutch artists. €9 (€5 for students and 65+).
- Nederlands Openluchtmuseum, Schelmseweg 89, ☎ +31 26 357-6111. 11:00-17:00 daily. A large outdoor museum featuring traditional housing and customs. It also has a section about more recent Dutch traditions. In the museum you can buy a lot of traditionally made goods, ranging from food, to drinks to paper to other goods. €15,30/€10,30 for adults/children and €5,50/€2,50 at certain periods (see website).
- Nederlands Wijnmuseum, Velperweg 23, ☎ +31 26 445-5912. M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-17:00. A museum showcasing everything related to making wine. Adults €5, children €2,50.
- Water Museum, Zijpendaalseweg 26-28. Interactive and educational museum about water. Make a trip through a sewer or learn about dikes and how water is used all over the world. adults €9 children (4-12) €5,50.
- The Living Statues exhibition is one of the great summer attractions for the city, with around 250 competitors from around the world. The event takes place during the last weekend of August and dates back to 1996. On Saturday the catwalks belong to child performers, whilst adult actors perform on Sunday afternoon.
- The Airborne March is an annual Dutch commemorative event of remembrance that began in 1947 and takes place on the first Saturday in September in Oosterbeek near Arnhem. Over 34,000 people took part in the 65th march in 2011.
- The Gelredome is a stadium home to Arnhem's football club Vitesse. The premises are also used for various concerts and event, such as the annual monster truck show Monster Jam. The Gelredome is accessible in a few minutes from the central station and the city centre by busline 7.
- King's Day (formerly Queen's Day) is an international holiday celebrated on 27 April. Festivities will be held in the city center.
- Other national holidays, such as Sinterklaas and Carnival, are also celebrated publicly with events and parades throughout the city.
Leisure & Sports
- Rembrandt Theater, is the largest and oldest theater in Arnhem. The original theater was destroyed in World War II and rebuilt at its current location. The address is Velperplein 10.
- JT Arnhem, better known as the Blikken Bioscoop (lit. Sheet Metal Cinema, referring to its metal exterior) is a cinema located west of the city center, next to the Nelson Mandela Bridge. The address is Hoogstraat 10.
- Focus Filmtheater Arnhem, colloqiually known simply as the Filmhuis, Located at the Korenmarkt. It's in the middle of the square, surrounded by all the cafe's and bars. Here you find a bigger offer of all kind of movies. Address: Korenmarkt 42
- De Grote Koppel, located in Vredenburg in southern Arnhem. Apart from a swimming pool, De Grote Koppel also offers squash and in-door skiing. Address: Olympus 29
- Valkenhuizen, Located in northern Arnhem. Address: Beukenlaan 23
- Klarenbeek, open air swimmingpool. Opened from April until august. Address: Hommelseweg 536
- Park Sonsbeek and Zypendaal, at 5–10 minutes walking distance from the city centre. Places of interest are the White Villa, the small waterfall and the Water Museum.Map
- Meinerswijk. Located at the southern part of the river Rhine, west of the Nelson Mandela Bridge. A pleasant area to walk, bike and relax. Wild Horses and walk freely in this area.
- . Located north of Arnhem, the Hoge Veluwe National Park is the largest actively managed conservation area in private hands in the Netherlands. You can cycle to the park from Arnhem and back if you start early in the morning. If you go there by car or public transit, you can use the bicycles provided for free at the entry gates.
The city center in Arnhem has four major shopping areas, that are connected with each other. They are the Roggestraat, Ketelstraat, Vijzelstraat, Rijnstraat. It's a pedestrian zone and has a length of approximately 1,5 kilometers. These streets are paved with shops and boutiques, and form Arnhems main shopping area.
In the southern part of Arnhem is the large shopping center Kronenburg. It offers free parking, and it houses a wide variety of shops, catering and supermarkets. In the north of Arnhem is a shopping mall called Presikhaaf which houses numerous shops and cafés.
Typical to Arnhem are the Arnhemse meisjes ('Arnhem girls'), a local type cookie. You can also enjoy a wide variety of traditional Dutch treats, such as stroopwafels, at many vendors and stores in Arnhem's city center. There's a wide variety of restaurants, especially in and near the city center, but also in the Kronenburg shopping center.
- La Rusticana, Bakkerstraat 58, ☎ +31 26 351 5607. W-Su 17:00-22:00. An acclaimed Italian restaurant in the city center. What's best about this restaurant is the food: delicious pastas and a mouthwatering funghi trifolati, all made with quality ingredients. It's an all-round quality restaurant with a professional staff and authentic appearance. Ask for the sorbet ice cream as dessert. €40.
- Restaurant Valkenburg, Westervoortsedijk 89, ☎ +31 26 361 52 00. Located along the river side, this place is half built on the water. It's rather vintage in terms of decoration but is widely praised for its excellent food. €35.
- Xu-Xi, Nieuwstad 16, ☎ +31 6 41480807. Closed on Mondays. A go-to place for sushi. The restaurant may not be the coziest one in town, but the food makes locals come back time and again. They do take-away too, but no delivery.
- Treffen, Markt 33. An Asian fusion restaurant. Plates are pretty and the food is delightful. The menu is small but varied and the 3 or 4 course choice menus strike a great balance between price and quality. €25 for 3 courses.
- Babo, Bovenbeekstraat 28. Another place to enjoy wine, coffee and food. Everything is made or chosen for taste and quality. Pies and food are made by the staff.
- nJoy, Bovenbeekstraat (near Babo).
- Vrijdag, Velperbuitensingel 21a (behind Musis Sacrum). It's a simple but cozy bar. They serve good wine that goes well with the basket of bread with a variety of dips.
- Stayokay, Diepenbrocklaan 27 (At walking distance from Ziekenhuis Rijnstate, which is served by 3 buslines (3, 8 and 9) and also by nocturnal line N9.), ☎ +31 26 4420114, fax: +31 26 3514892, e-mail: email@example.com. A hostel located in the north of Arnhem. It's near the hospital Rijnstate on a main bus route from the central station. circa €35.
- Hotel Haarhuis, Stationsplein 1, ☎ +31 26 4427441, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. a 4-star hotel located opposite to the central station. Rooms from €90.
- Hotel Arnhem Centraal, Willemsplein 18, ☎ +31 26 3529830, e-mail: email@example.com. Located near the city centre. Also houses a Greek Buffet restaurant (€19). Rooms from €80.
- Hotel van der Valk, Amsterdamseweg 505, ☎ +31 26 - 4821100, fax: +31 26 - 482 16 14, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Rooms from €69.
- Hotel Landgoed Groot Warnsborn, Bakenbergseweg 277, ☎ +31 26 44 557 51, fax: +31 264431010, e-mail: WarnsbornILA@ila-chateau.com. Elegant country-park hotel on the outskirts of Arnhem surrounded by 750 hectares of woodland. Rooms from €130.
- NH Rijnhotel, Onderlangs, 10, ☎ +31 26 4434642. Located on the River Rhine, this hotel offers 68 guest rooms with stunning views and many tourist attractions within a short distance. Rooms from €99.
|Routes through Arnhem|
|The Hague ← Wageningen ←||W E||→ Oberhausen (Germany, A3)|
|Brielle ← Tiel ←||W E||→ END|
|Zwolle ← Apeldoorn ←||N S||→ Nijmegen → Eindhoven|