Anantapur has a population of over 500,000 and is well connected by road and rail. It is located between Hyderabad, Bangalore Highway and Railway line. The nearest Airport is at Puttaparty 70 km. Sri Krishnadevaraya University and JNT University are in the city. 200 km south of Anantapur is Bangalore and 350 km north of Anantpur is Hyderabad.
The primary language is Telugu. Getting along with English alone is also not very difficult.
Anantapur is well connected with major cities like Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore with regular and frequent train and bus services.
You have Garib Rath service to Hyderabad /bangalore.
Along with the government-operated APSRTC bus services, there are many private operators with very good bus services from Hyderabad, Vellore and Bengaluru.
Anantapur is well connected with outside city through Road-ways. There are above 8 private travels for Hyderabad (like, SNSMS, Sri Balaji, Kesineni, Diwakar, Ganesh...). Also, many other services to Bengaluru, and many short services to the nearby towns & villages.
One private service running from Kurnool to Vellore Daily, through Anantapur is also there.
- Cheruvu Katta. This is holy place both for Hindus and Muslims. All the temples are located at one place (Shirdi Sai Baba, Ayyappa, Ganesh & Hanuman Temples)
- ISKCON Temple, Hare Krishna Land, Somuladoddi, National Highway No.7. just 7 km from town...ISCKON which has recently constructed.
- BlooMoon Restaurant, NH-7,Gooty,anantapur (From anantapur stating Gooty), ☎ +919739213876. IT is Out door Restaurant
- Little Flowers College of Education
- Bajjis. - is famous in 1st road, near Police Training College
- Biriyani. Spice touch
- Dosa. - is famous in I-Road Gurukrupa hotel, Sujatha Hotel, Indira Priyadarshini Hotel-near Clock Tower.
- IDLY. - is famous in Oldtown near to Krishna theatre, Mr.IDLY near Srikantam Circle
- LASSI. - is famous back to Medinova Hospital.
- Oaligalu. - yummy sweet dish in old town.
- Poori. - is famous opp. Emrald Restaurant.
- For non-veg.......Swathi daba is famous at Gooty Road.
- For vegies.....
- Adi Murthi Tiffin Center (Opposite Jain Mandir in Old town). - Famous for verities of Dosa's.
- Madhu Restaurant (It is beside Bank of Baroda Cross, Subhash Road.). is famous for north Indian dishes as per quality and price.
- Manogna Restaurant (opp.to SBI).
Nannari and Butter Milk are most consuming drinks in summer and also good for health.
- NANNARI....is famous drink both in Anantapur and Kadapa districts. It is made from the Nannari roots and stems. It is very good for health especially in summer. It cools the body during the summer season.
- 4 to 5 spoons of NANNARI.
- 1/2 piece or 1 full squizee of lemon
- chilled water or chilled soda.
If you want to have the NANNARI...do visit 1. G.A.W. cool drink shop which is in I-road between 6th and 7th cross. 2. Tower Clock Road, you can get Nannari mix Lassi. 3. In Kamala Nagar, you can get Nannari as well as Butter milk
You can also buy a Bottle of Nannari Syrup (₹45/ 750ml bottle ) at stores in Bus stand and other Juice shops to take home.
NANNARI...you will get cool Nannari and Hot samosas in 2nd road near to Masjidh.
NANNARI is available in US. It is called ROOT BEER. Try it.(It tastes like dettol)
- Amaravathi Lodge. at raju road
- Annapurna lodge, at raju road.
- Mayura Lodge (near Sreekantam Circle).
- Nama Residency, at Subash Road.
- . shortly opening on 22-062-009
- Sampoorna Lodge. near Sreekantam Circle
- Sapthagiri Balla Lodge (near Sapthagire Circle), ☎ 08554 220914-9.
- SRS Residency (parallel road to raju road).
Anantapur has many nearby attractions to visit.
- Aluru Kona -- you can visit this water fall near to Tadipatri is good to see.
- Babiah Dargah in Penukonda - Dargah of 12 Th Century Sufi Saint Hazrat Syed Shah Baba Fakruddin Saharwardy(R.A)
- Belum caves-- famous tourist attraction near Tadipatri.
- Dharmavaram - Famous for silk sarees. 40km from Anantapur city.
- Kadiri - Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple 90 km from Anantapur.
- Lepakshi - Biggest Nandi in India, and temples built between 13-14 century AD.14 km from Hindupur.
- Pennahobilam - Lord Narasimha Swamy temple on a hillock, 30 km from Anantapur.
- Penukonda - Forts and temples built by Sri Krishnadevaraya king. 65 km from Anantapur City.
- Puttaparthy - Abode of Sri Sri Sri Satya Sai Baba (Prashantinilayam) 34 km from Hindupur.
- Tadipatri, Hemavati, Penakacherla dam, PABR dam, Gooty fort, Rayadurg fort are the other places to visit.
- Timmamma marrimanu (Banyan tree) which covers an area of 5 acres and has its name in the Guinness book of records, 120 km from Anantapur.