The Route 109 and 119 buses (timetable) pass through the Al Wakrah. Both leave from Al Ghanim Bus Station in Doha, with the 109 heading towards Mesaieed or Al-Wukair, and the 119 terminating in Al-Wakra. The frequency of both routes combined is about 5-20 minutes, with the journey time to the town centre being half an hour. There are different timetables for Saturday-Thursday and Fridays. Be warned that buses can be affected by service changes and disruptions, so it is recommended you call Mowasalat to confirm first on +974 4458 8888.
By private car, you should follow the Al-Wakrah highway signs out of Doha to the south-east, past the airport. The journey is just under 20km, equating to 25 minutes in good traffic.
- Al Wakrah Museum (Abdulrahman bin Jassim Fort), Al Wakair Rd, ☎ +974 4464 3201. Housed in an old fort built in the early 20th century, this small museum displays artifacts of marine life and local history. The museum is currently closed for refurbishment.
- House of Sheikh Ghanim Bin Abdulrahman Al Thani (along the beach road 500m north of Manaratain Mosque), ☎ +974 4429 1711 (Restoration Dept). Daily 24 hrs. Originally built by a prominent local pearl trader in the early 20th century, the house was fully restored in 2004. Open to visitors, just ask the security who will allow you to explore on your own. Free.
- Manaratain Mosque (next to the fish market). The mosque was built in the 1940s on the site of earlier mosques, and while not particularly old was built with traditional construction of coral and rock with a baked mud roof. Non-Muslim visitors should refrain from entering, but can appreciate the building from the outside.
- Dhow harbor. Much of Qatar's fishing fleet is based here, and the harbor makes for a pleasant backdrop for walking.
- Al Wakrah Family Beach (just south of Al Wakrah). 7am-10pm. Has toilets and showers, some shade and barbeque pits, and is completely surrounded by fencing. The water is shallow with sharp rocks; water shoes recommended. Free.
- Wakra Mall, Al Wakair Rd (across from the main hospital). A multi-level shopping mall, with food court and children's theme park.
- Fish market. A good place to pick up fish from the latest catch, which can be cooked for you on the spot.
- Addar Hotel, Al Wakra Main St, ☎ +974 4464 7775, fax: +974 4464 1119, e-mail: email@example.com. Serviced apartments with free wi-fi and breakfast, 24-hr coffee shop, onsite restaurant and gym, rental cars available. QR 450-700/day.
- Al Siraaj Wakra Inn Apartments, Mesaieed Rd, ☎ +974 4463 3737, fax: +974 4463 3802, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Serviced apartments with free wi-fi and breakfast and onsite coffee shop.
HMC operates an emergency department at its local medical clinic here.