How to Expedite a Passport

Expedited passport service allows American citizens to obtain passports as quickly as same day, although it could take up to three weeks. The steps an applicant will need to take depend on the type of passport service required and how quickly it is needed. For a discussion of how to get your passport expedited and get you jet-setting again, read the following how-to.


  1. Image titled Expedite a Passport Step 1
    Complete the appropriate passport application form. Decide on which form you need to complete, depending on your application status.
    • Form DS-11 should be submitted by first-time applicants, minors and those wanting to replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport. DS-11 should not be signed until an agent asks the applicant to do so.
    • Form DS-82 is required for renewals by mail.
    • Form DS-5504 is the correct application for a passport name change, data correction or replacement of limited validity passport.
    • Form DS-4085 must be submitted by those who want to add visa pages to their passports.
  2. Image titled Expedite a Passport Step 2
    Gather the required supporting documents. Those submitting Form DS-11 must submit evidence of United States citizenship, proof of identity, a photocopy of the identification document and one 2 inch (5.1 cm) by 2 inch (5.1 cm) passport photo.
    • Parents applying for a minor's passport must also submit evidence of relationship to the child.
    • American citizens who apply for renewals are required to submit their most recently-issued passport and two recent passport photos.
    • Applicants seeking additional visa pages need only submit their current, valid passport along with the application.
  3. Image titled Expedite a Passport Step 3
    Submit Form DS-11 for expedited service at an application acceptance facility to get the passport in 2-3 weeks. Present the completed, but unsigned application form and supporting documents to the agent. Sign the form when asked to do so by the agent. Pay the execution fee of $25 to the agent.
    • Include payment of $170 in the packet. This includes an application processing fee of $110 and an expedited service fee of $60. Write the word "expedite" on the outside of the envelope.
  4. Image titled Expedite a Passport Step 4
    Submit Form DS-82, DS-5504, or DS-4085 for expedited service by mail to have them processed in 2-3 weeks. Place the completed form, supporting documents and payment in an envelope.
    • The U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs recommends that any application sent by mail be sent using the traceable delivery method: either by USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation, by USPS Priority Mail with signature confirmation, or by USPS Express Mail (for overnight delivery requests) using traceable delivery.[1]
    • The U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs also recommends that applicants send their application by secure means, using a Tyvek or similar envelope if possible.[1]
    • The fee to renew a passport is $110. The fee for additional visa pages is $82. There is no fee for a name change if requested within one year of the passport's issuance date. Remember to include a payment of $60 for expedited service. Write the word "expedite" on the outside of the envelope.
    • Note that multiple applications that are sent together may not necessarily be processed together. This could mean that one application gets processed and returned before other ones.
  5. Image titled Expedite a Passport Step 5
    Apply at a regional passport agency to get a passport expedited in less than two weeks. Applicants who need to obtain a passport, passport renewal, passport name change or additional visa pages in less than two weeks can apply at a regional agency. The fist step is to call the National Passport Information Center's automated appointment system to schedule at visit. The number is 1-877-487-2778.
    • Arrive a few minutes early to allow time to go through the security check.
    • Receive a ticket at the information desk. When your number is called, submit the application form, supporting documents and payment to the agent. Applications are usually processed within one day and, often, the same day.
  6. Image titled Expedite a Passport Step 6
    Apply for expedited passports through a professional expediter. Applicants who need to get a passport in less than two weeks but are unable to personally visit a regional agency can employ the services of professional expediters. Simply type in "U.S. Passport Expediting Services" into a search engine, choose an expediter, and fill out their online application form.
    • Send the expediter an envelope containing the completed application form, supporting documents and payment that will be submitted to the U.S. Department of State.
    • Note, applicants submitting Form DS-11 must still sign the application form in the presence of an authorized agent before sealing the envelope and mailing it to the expediter.


  • If you need a passport photo taken, your best bet may be to have it taken at a post office (this can be done when you're submitting your application). This way you'll be sure to get a photo that meets the requirements.
  • Packets sent by mail should also be sent using a traceable delivery method.
  • If you only intend to travel to Canada, Mexico and islands in the Caribbean, consider applying for a passport card instead of (or in conjunction with) your passport book. The passport card can be a form of ID and you may find it more convenient depending on your travel plans.
  • Apply for a passport early and avoid expedited service fees. Applications for renewals should be submitted approximately nine (9) months before the expiration date due to the 6-month validity rule required by many countries.
  • If you have upcoming travel plans, make sure that the passport you will be using has at least six months of validity left. You won't be allowed to travel if your passport expires in six months or less, so submit your application as soon as you can.


  • Unacceptable passport photos are one of the major reasons that applications are delayed. Be sure to follow specifications exactly.

Things You'll Need

  • Passport Application Form
  • Evidence of United States Citizenship
  • Proof of Identity
  • One Passport Photo
  • Evidence of Relationships - parents applying for minor child
  • Notarized Consent Form - submitted by applying parent/guardian from non-applying parent/guardian
  • Payment for fees
  • Tyvek envelope or other secure means of packaging

Article Info

Categories: Travel