How to Change Your Address with the IRS

Two Methods:Filing Your ReturnContacting the IRS

If your address has changed since the last time you completed your taxes, you must notify the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) to make sure that you receive any IRS refunds or correspondence. There are several different ways to change your address, all of which are officially approved by the IRS.

Method 1
Filing Your Return

  1. Image titled Change Your Address with the IRS Step 1
    Input your new address on your tax return. When doing your taxes for the year, enter your new address on your return. Make sure to fill it out correctly to avoid any mistakes.[1]
    • This is the easiest and most hassle-free method to change your address.
  2. Image titled Change Your Address with the IRS Step 2
    Send in your return. You can mail in your return in or electronically file your taxes.
    • Keep in mind that if you mail in your tax return, the correct mailing address depends on the state or territory you live in. To find this address, you can consult the IRS website under "Where to File Addresses for Taxpayers and Tax Professionals."[2]
  3. Image titled Change Your Address with the IRS Step 3
    Wait for your return. When your return is processed, the IRS will update your records. You can confirm online that the address has been successfully changed.[3]

Method 2
Contacting the IRS

  1. Image titled Change Your Address with the IRS Step 4
    File the Change of Address form with the IRS. Form 8822 is the Change of Address form for individuals and Form 8822B is for businesses.
    • Print the correct form, complete it as per the instructions on the form, and mail to the IRS office listed on the form.
    • Call 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676) to order copies of these forms if you don't want to download them online.[4]
    • Starting January 1, 2014, any person with an employer identification number (EIN) must send in Form 8822-B to the IRS and report any address changes to the responsible party. The responsible party is the principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner or trustor of the business.[5]
    • Form 8822 and 8822-B can be submitted at any time during the year.
  2. Image titled Change Your Address with the IRS Step 5
    Send a letter with original signature to the IRS. This written letter must include your name (your full, legal name), your old and current addresses, and your Social Security number, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or Employer Identification Number, depending on your particular situation with the IRS.[6]
    • When mailing a letter or notification to the IRS, it's a good idea to send it through USPS with proper postage and return receipt requested. You will want to know if and when the IRS receives it by getting the recipient's signature
    • Anyone filing a change of address on behalf of another individual (either by form or letter) must attach a copy of their power of attorney or a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative. Unauthorized third parties cannot change a taxpayer's address.
  3. Image titled Change Your Address with the IRS Step 6
    Speak with an IRS representative. You can inform the IRS in person or by phone of your change in address.
    • The IRS will need to verify your identity and address, so be prepared to supply your full name, address, and your Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or Employer Identification Number (depending on your situation with the IRS).[7]
  4. Image titled Change Your Address with the IRS Step 7
    Notify the IRS electronically. You can only use this option if your refund check was returned, meaning that you received a CP31 notice. A CP31 notice is a form that informing you that your refund check has been returned to the IRS because the address was incorrect.[8]
    • Click on "Where's My Refund?" on the IRS website to change your address. You will need your Social Security number, filing status, and the amount of your anticipated refund check.[9]


  • If you've changed your address after already filing your return, notify the post office at your old address so your mail can be forwarded.
  • If you filed a joint return, provide the same information and signatures for both partners/spouses.[10]
  • If you filed a joint return but you and your partner are not separated, each of you should inform the IRS of your new addresses immediately.[11]
  • When reporting your change of address to the IRS, be sure to also notify your state agencies.
  • Remember to include any apartment, room or suite number for the new address. The more specific you can be, the better[12]
  • For a foreign address, fill out the postal code following that particular country's standard practice. Please DO NOT abbreviate the country name.[13]
  • The IRS should change your address within 4 to 6 weeks. If you do not provide the correct address, you may not receive notices that require your attention, so plan accordingly.[14]

Article Info

Categories: Taxes and Fees